What is the best appetizer you have ever had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a gourmet restaurant in a nearby town that has wonderful food. Last time we were there, we asked the waiter to choose our hors d'ouevre, and he came back with a tray of baked brie, smoked salmon on little toasts, and sliced apples.
We also had some fantastic grilled portabellos at a place in Chicago, which I have never been able to duplicate.

I guess my top pick would have to be oysters on the half shell, though.

I had one today that is I'd say is going to become a favorite with the whole sunday crowd..Little triangle sandwiches made with butter, fig jam and prosciutto..They were delicious...My daughter and i were talking about a crostini, bruschetta party this summer and although these don't qualify as either crostini or bruschetta, they will be a welcome addition to the mix...I have several other ideas that might work for these little cuties and am looking forward to trying them..

kadesma :)

mudbug said:
Boiled Gulf shrimp, now ice cold, with a spicy remoulade sauce.

Mudbug,
when DH was stationed in Jacksonville Fla. (4 years- 1959 -1963) We ate Gulf Shrimp right out of the St. John's River..Paul would throw out a net and pull them in..one time a snake--he looked around and he was the only one left on the pier. LOL I was the first one off !
Back to the shrimp..we ate it in place of popcorn because we didn't have the extra change to buy popcorn. I won't eat shrimp now. LOL
Marge

When I was still living in South Bend IN I would occationally go to a restraunt in the nearby town of Granger. It was named Yesterday's Once in a while for birthdays we would go for whole meals, but normally just appatisers and desert.

My Favorite, appitizer. Whole roasted garlic served with baguette rounds that had been toasted and coverd with parmasain cheese. The garlic head had the top sliced off and then the entire thing was drizzled with Rosemary olive oil. Pluck a clove out and spread it on the bread. The last time I ate it I could smell the garlic in my skin. It was fantastic though.

Dove (sigh)

I can't imagine what it must be like to be sick of Gulf shrimp..............all we can get locally are those nasty Tigers with no taste.

One of the favorites around here is stromboli( stuffed bread) and another hands down is piggies in the blankets

Ooh! I love the ginger pork gyoza from this japanese restaurant called Wakamono in Montreal... also I had a friend who was a sushi chef, he'd make me sashimi tempura with a sweet sauce... mmmm. In Key West I like to order conch or alligator fritters, but I think it's mostly because I never get to eat this anywhere else :-p

As for appetizer, it depends.... from a resturaunt, I would have to say Pappadeaux's Seafood Gumbo or Calamari. Both are excellent treats and are always orderd when at this place. For home cooking, I rarely treat ourselves to appetizers.... just seems to ruin my appetite for the main course.... not sure why it does not do the same when you are eating out. Maybe it is the anticipation of getting something cooked for you and tantalizing that makes it easier to consume both appetizer and main meal annnnndddd desert!

Gee, it's so hard to pick just one. I'd have to say my top 3 have been:

1) A fried flat wonton skin topped with a large portion of steamed shelled Maine Lobster claw & tail meat, garnished with fresh herbs.

2) Baby soft-shelled crabs, sauteed in olive oil & garlic.

3) "Shark Bites" - bite-sized cubes of broiled seasoned shark.

Guess it's not difficult to tell that I'm a big-time seafood lover - lol!!

Well, obviously, we live all over the world, so giving an appetizer specific to a restaurant is pointless.

The bests in my book:
I really like an appetizer portion of mussels when they're well-made with a great white wine. My daughter (4 years old) loves to eat them "properly" because it's different.

I love, love, love breaded, fried mozzarella cheese sticks when I can find them.

It's not an appetizer, but I love the freshly made chips they serve with your drinks at French bistros. Somehow, they taste better than other chips. I'm sure with the correct mandoline you can make them at home. They are just waffle fries.

In Turkey, we (my hubby's family) mak
e börek, a fried appetizer made with yufka dough and different fillings. I've given the recipes here. Love those.

Last edited:
Can I suggest a dish as simple as wonderful? It is an ancient recipe from Sforza court in Milano, about in 1400.
The correct recipe uses fillets of salted anchovies, washed in milk , but it's possible to use fillets of under oil anchovies. (of course, it's better the first solution).

Wash in some milk the anchovies fillets, after you have cleaned them from bones...Dry them.
Put in a dish with very good olive oil (it's important), parsley, and some slices of truffle. You can obviously use the truffle oil, much less expensive (here, white truffles are about 5-7000 €/kg).
The recipe is finished.:LOL:

In order to give you the right atmosphere, may I put the photo of Sforza Castle in Milano?

Attachments

• sforzesco.jpeg
    sforzesco.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 219
rdg, i've had grilled fresh anchovies, drizzled with truffle oil and whole parsley stems. they were fantastic!

the meat flaked off the bone, and the truffles and parsley complimented it perfectly.

I'm still dreaming about the seared sea scallops atop some kind of creamy lemon sauce I had at the Boulevard in S.F. Would love to have that recipe. Does anyone know if a recipe like this is in the "Boulevard" cookbook?

It was at a seaside restaurant in Santa Lucia, Naples. They took gamberoni (large prawns) fresh from the Mediterranean Sea, grilled them, and served them chilled tossed with extra virgin olive oil, lemon, garlic, tiny bits of ricotta salata, red chili flakes, fennel, oregano, and italian parsley. Had them with a bottle of Gavi di Gavi. Then again, it may have just been the overall atmosphere and experience that made them so great.

Gator Tail with southwestern dipping sauce,Restaurant in Florida

I love seafood stuffed mushrooms. stuffed with like cheeses, herbs, crab meat, etc etc...

believe it or not olive garden's are FANTASTIC.....

Wow Ironchef that sounds delish, gotta go to Naples someday I bet the food is great.

Salt and pepper calamari at P.F. Changs
Chicken satay at my favorite local Thai place
Indian sheekh kabab and chicken tikka ( I love them both at my favorite joint in Devon Chicago, not an upscale place but really good food)
Tom Yum Soup, Hot and Sour Soup, Harisa (A Moroccon, Middle-eastern soup), Clam Chowder Bread Bowl in San Francisco and Lobster Bisques as appetizers are great
I had a Peeky Toe Crab Cake at Disney's flying fish restaurant which was out of this world. It had some crunchy onions on the top and an ancho chili sauce. Yummy.
I also had a purple fingerling potato salad with lobster meat in a light viniger dressing to die for. at Flying Fish.

Yakuta said:
Indian sheekh kabab and chicken tikka ( I love them both at my favorite joint in Devon Chicago, not an upscale place but really good food)

Okay, I take back that it's pointless to give specific restaurants. We actually get to DEVON STREET (AVENUE???) (I'm assuming it's the same area where all the international restaurants/groceries are) when we are in Chicago!!! I'm originally from the midwest (Indiana) and we ALWAYS stop by Devon Ave. (Turkish Grocery there) when we are there. So.... give it up... what's the name of restaurant???

Back
Top Bottom