What is the best appetizer you have ever had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Velochic who knew you visit the midwest :). The restaurant is called Saabri Phone Number - (773) 465-3272. It's a Pakistani joint and food is spicy but really good. The best thing are the "Sheek Kababs" and a red chicken that is called "Chicken Boti". They make a good biryani and chicken kadahi along with fresh naans.

Since you are well versed in Indian food, try their lassi and falooda to alongside the spicy food. Both are great.

Since I cook this food at home and my uncle is a one of the better Indian chefts, not in Chicago but has worked at many popular Indian restaurants in US, it takes a bit more to please me. I however like Saabri since it's really authentic (not watered down for the western palate).

buckytom said:
rdg, i've had grilled fresh anchovies, drizzled with truffle oil and whole parsley stems. they were fantastic!

the meat flaked off the bone, and the truffles and parsley complimented it perfectly.
Bucky, I never tried with GRILLED anchovies....Only...How is it possible to grill them? They are too small! When we eat fried anchovies, we eat the whole fish, head and bones: it's impossible to do in another way. Is it possible that you use the fishes we call "sarde"? They are similar to sardines, but bigger. And sardines are bigger than anchovies. The type is nearly the same, but the meat is fatter.
As alternative, in Liguria (Genova) there is another recipe with anchovies, raw anchovies. Open and clean them in fillets, cover with lemon juice and evoo, and leave them for about a day. Before eating, add some parsley.

Boy I can't think of any that stand out in my mind. I know I've eaten many wonderful ones too but I'm drawing a blank....sorry!

Yakuta said:
They make a good biryani and chicken kadahi along with fresh naans.
Thanks for the tip. I will write down Saabri's info in my notebook of important things (which goes everywhere with me). What kind of biryani do they specialize in? I know there are many varieties, but I don't know enough to understand the specifics. Is there something I should keep in mind?
Yakuta said:
Since you are well versed in Indian food, try their lassi and falooda to alongside the spicy food. Both are great.
I however like Saabri since it's really authentic (not watered down for the western palate).
If it's not watered down, then a good lassi will be welcome and necessary! :) There is an Indian restaurant in Rosenheimer Platz in Munich that is very good, but it took several trips before they really believed me when I said that I wanted my food HOT. Spicy, spicy, spicy. They kept saying, spicy does not mean hot. Yes... I want it SPICY HOT. Ultimately, what worked best with these guys was the same system my favorite Indian restaurant in the US uses (India Garden in Indianapolis, IN)... a scale of 1 to 10... YES... I want an 8!!!!!!

RDG said:
Is it possible that you use the fishes we call "sarde"? They are similar to sardines, but bigger. And sardines are bigger than anchovies. The type is nearly the same, but the meat is fatter.

I think I know the fish you are talking about. In Turkey (where my husband is from), they call them "dumb" fish because you don't even have to put bait on the line to catch them. We bread and fry them and eat them whole. Their bones are so tender, you can eat them too. As you said, bigger and meatier than the anchovies or sardines, but still small. Does this sound familiar?

velochic said:
I think I know the fish you are talking about. In Turkey (where my husband is from), they call them "dumb" fish because you don't even have to put bait on the line to catch them. We bread and fry them and eat them whole. Their bones are so tender, you can eat them too. As you said, bigger and meatier than the anchovies or sardines, but still small. Does this sound familiar?
I effectively don't know. The description may be correct. Only, it's not possible to wholly eat sarde : bones are too hard. The fish is about.....40 gr? May be to 60. Very good fried or grilled, typical of mediterranean sea. When I was young, we was fishing them , and we cooked on a slate on the burning coals in the night, only wet with sea water. The meat was fat enough....
My God!!! What I remember! How deep blue were her eyes.....Do you think is it for this reason I like this dish so much? ( I'm not speaking of FISH eye, if it's necessary to explain....:LOL: )

rdg, oops, thank you, you caught my mistake. i incorrectly said anchovies when i meant fresh sardines. they were pretty big and meaty for sardines, so they may have truely been the sarde that you've mentioned.
the sarde/sardines were cleaned, skewered, rubbed with evoo and sea salt, and grilled whole, then drizzled with truffle oil, and a little more truffle shavings. you ate them off the skewers along with whole stems of parsley, in a rustic kind of way.
(it was in an artsy/ecclectic restaurant in nyc years ago.:huh: )

There are so many great ones to choose from. I guess I like a combination of fresh figs, prosciutto, shaved parmigiano-reggiano on a endive leave drizzled with a balsamic reduction.

Mark

My favorite appetizer of all time was a fried calamari that they made at Mama Nina's in Yountville, CA (now gone)...they breaded it lightly with a breading I think, made of flour with some cayenne in it, then fried it so that it was just golden, then sprinkled it while it was hot with freshly grated Parmesan and served it with a spicy Shriracha aioli...drizzled with a little lemon juice, and it was HEAVEN!

The best one was taught to me by a chef.

Gulf Shrimp marinated in EVOO and Montreal Seasoning for 4-8 hours then grilled.
The shrimp HAVE TO have shells ON. Cook over hot coals fast. Some of the shells will look burnt but the shell will protect them.

I cook this every party and people tell me it is awesome.

Shrimp Shumai (Japanese)
Mussels in butter/white wine/shallots (French)
Vegetable fritters (East Indian)
Bruschetta with Roasted Red Peppers, Goat Cheese, and Basil
Eggplant salad (Moroccan)
Corn tamales (Cuban - from Victor's Cafe - NYC)

Hands down...baked brie with toasted walnuts at the Yellow Brick Bank restaurant in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. Buck and I always dined there when we went on our annual anniversary trip to the place where we honeymooned. The Yellow Brick Bank had awesome food and ambiance. l'm happy to see it's still around, as is the Bavarian Inn.

Chili poppers, they`re like jalapeno peppers stuffed with cheese then rolled in breadcrumbs and deep fried.

Topless Oysters at Blacks Oyster Bar, Abbeville Louisiana! Straight up! They were so briney..no salt needed and perfectly chilled!!

Uncle Bob, I recall several appys at Black's I would gladly eat again!

There are too many to list them all, but for consistency, I have to go with the Fried Calamari at El Charro Espanol in Greenwich Village. In 17+ years they''ve never been less than perfect! :D

I love taking pickled watermelon rind, which we can find at the supermarket, and wrapping it with bacon and putting in the oven until the bacon is done.But the best, number one, gone from the plate when you plunk it down appetizer comes from a skinny tall book we purchased at a William Sonoma years ago caooed 'The Book of As' by June Bugden.Cannot post recipe due to copyrite concerns but you basically cut a thin slice of pork tenderloin, not the loin, ans whomp it. You then wrap the thinned pork about a piece of green onion.Toss the rolls into a mixture of soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic and oil. Put it in the fridge until you are ready to cook it, no specific time here, and put in oven. Baste with the mixture until they are done.Basically it is scallions wrapped with pork tenderloin in a looing sauce.We always serve them in a nice presentation, but you don't have to bother. They go like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom