"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-23-2004, 11:40 PM   #21
Senior Cook

shrimp rumolade (sp)
crab stuffed mushrooms, hot crab dip..cold crab dip, any crab dip!!! (but not Krab dip)
bacon wrapped anything...breadsticks are good done this way.
I love teasers!

southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:30 PM   #22
Executive Chef

These are so easy and quick - great to have on file for last minute party ideas!

No quantities required - make as much or little as you please!

Your favorite deli roast beef - I like Dietz and Watson eye round

Sour cream, horseradish, chives - mix to your taste

Slice the roast beast into 1 inch long strips, roll them uplengthwise, skewer with a toothpick. Make the sour cream mixture, place in a bowl in the center of a platter, and arrange the skewers around it.

Old 10-27-2004, 01:19 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Fried Wontons with Sweet Sour Sauce
I have been known to go into a Chines Joint and just order a mess of appetizers with a bowl of Eggdrop Soup. I ofetn make this soup at home and eat it with lots of salt and peeper. I am now sneakin into the kitchen at almost 2am to make some. Yummy :!:
Old 10-27-2004, 06:24 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL
My fave app has to be cured meats, cheese and marinated olives.
Unfortunately, I often make a meal of this and forgo tha etree
yum.
you need to come shop at my favorite grocery store. the olive bar and all of the meats and cheeses they have... well, suffice to say you'd be a very happy JohnL.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:43 AM   #25
Senior Cook

I keep going back to what my mother had on the table for guests:

A woden cutting board with a big wedge of Swiss and a big wedge of Brie, a container of sweet butter and some Ritz crackers. Sometimes another small board with a great piece of salami.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:34 PM   #26

sometimes the simplest things are the best... sounds great!
Old 10-29-2004, 06:49 PM   #27
Certified Executive Chef

Shrimp Coctail, rumaki, and my marinated stuffed mushrooms with caviar.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:15 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Somebody mentioned Mozzarella sticks. Sometime here soon, I'm going to get a big mess of those, and make some fried mozzarella sticks. I don't have a recipe, yet, but the technique is fairly simple.

Set up a standard breading station with a large bowl of flour, a bowl with an egg wash, then a bowl with some Italian bread crumbs, regular breadcrumbs seasoned with Italian seasonings, or cracker crumbs. Also, have a sheet pan lined with parchment paper ready. It really helps if you have enough counter-space to line all these up in a row.

Take some Mozzarella "String Cheese". Yes, the stuff they market as a kiddie snack! Cut them in half, so that they are about 1 1/2 - 2" long. It helps is the cheese is cold, so that as it sits, it "sweats" a bit as moisture condenses on it. Place some of the cheese into the flour, shake it around, dip it into the egg wash, then into the breading. You may have to cover the cheese with some of the breading and lightly press down to adhere the breading to the egg wash. Place the breaded cheese sticks onto the sheet pan. Repeat until you have breaded all the cheese sticks you want (or have the patience to do).

FREEZE the cheese sticks! This is the most important part. This allows the breading to completely cook before the cheese melts and oozes out through the breading.

Deep-fry the cheese sticks in 350°F oil for about 2 minutes, or just until the cheese starts to "ooze out". Serve with a good Marinara sauce, or Ranch dressing.

Also, you can do a beer batter. Just replace the egg wash and the final breading with the batter. You also want to cut the cheese and freeze, then go with the flour and beer batter. Cook immediately.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:50 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Allen, for the real deal, try these -

MOZZARELLA IN CARROZZA

4 oz. fresh mozzarella cut in ½ inch thick slices
¼ cup flour
½ - 1 cup bread crumbs
1 large egg, beaten
2T grated Romano cheese
salt/pepper
3 T. milk

Mix together milk, Romano cheese, egg, salt/pepper. Dip mozz. slices into mixture, then coat with bread crumbs.

Heat a skillet over medium high, add oil to a depth of ½ inch; when oil is hot, add cheese and fry til browned. Turn to other side and fry another 1-2 minutes. Drain and serve with marinara sauce.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:53 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Nachos!!!

spryte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None