"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-02-2004, 12:10 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

sandwich a cleaned and peeled shrimp between 2 very thin slices of water chestnut, then wrap in bacon, skewer and grill until bacon crisps, and the shrimp is opaque..... yummmmmm.

if that's not enough, drizzle with a tiny bit of maple syrup after grilling...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 01:24 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryte
Nachos!!!
when I first read this, spryte, I wondered why I hadn't said this, too. Then I remembered that for me nachos are an entree!

Old 11-04-2004, 12:46 AM   #33
Master Chef

i have a really, really easy appetizer...
just buy a Stouffer's creamed spinach. glance around the aisle first just to make sure nobody you know is around.
take it home and add things like black pepper, garlic, artichoke hearts, sauteed onion, etc.
parmesan cheese- if you sprinkle it over the cooked dip and broil till melted- makes for a great topping.
make sure you put it in a pretty dish. if someone asks for your recipe, get distracted ASAP.
tortilla chips are great for scooping this dip up with.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:54 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

New Wave Garlic Bread!!!!

1/4 cup sambal oelik; (Indonesian Chili Paste)
1/4 cup Butter; melted
5-8 cloves garlic; crushed
1/2 cup cilantro (fresh); chopped
1 loaf french bread; sliced
1/2 cup tomato; diced
1/2 cup onion; sliced thinly
1/2 cup mushroom; sliced and fried in:
2 tablespoon Butter
red chili peppers; crushed
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese; grated
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Mix together the sambal oelik, melted butter, garlic, and cilantro and spread over the sliced bread. Put the tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms on the bread. Sprinkle the crushed red chili peppers next, then the cheeses. Put under a broiler and bake until the cheese is melted.

Adjust the amount of sambal oelik to taste - it's hot. If you're a spice wuss, use perhaps 1 or 2 tablespoons. Same goes with the red chili peppers - use lots if you like it hot, less if you don't. Garlic - I love it. If you don't, adjust. You can use sun-dried tomatoes instead, and if you'd like to make it into a protein meal, you can toss shredded chicken or turkey, or cooked shrimp on top. You can use mozzerella, marble, or other cheeses in the place of cheddar - obviously, you will get a different flavor.

Once baked, it does not keep well. It's better to leave the spread mixture (sambal oelik, butter, garlic, and cilantro) in the fridge and make more New Wave Garlic Bread the next day.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:11 PM   #35
Head Chef

My favorite is raw clams.

But have to agree with Alix that an antipasto platter always goes over well.

Have a dynamite recipe for smoked mullet spread, but can't find the mullet anymore.

One that is simple, and everyone loves, is to take pickled watermelon rind (have been able to find it, in jars, in supermarkets from Maine to Florida), and cut the pieces into about one inch rectangles.

Then wrap bacon, one third to one half of a rasher, you have to go by feel here, about the watermelon rind piece and secure with a toothpick.

Bake until done (375 or so and just keep an eye on them, pull them out when the bacon looks cooked).

It is always the first appetizer to go, and there is never any left.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:20 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
sandwich a cleaned and peeled shrimp between 2 very thin slices of water chestnut, then wrap in bacon, skewer and grill until bacon crisps, and the shrimp is opaque..... yummmmmm.

if that's not enough, drizzle with a tiny bit of maple syrup after grilling...

BT, your recipe sounds good. I love anything wrapped in bacon. I found a recipe for cooked shrimp marinated in lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, fresh ginger, red chili, and sugar. Then place them on a skewer. I usually double the recipe.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 11:11 PM   #37
Master Chef

My favorite is hands down a clear clam broth with tiny clam shells. No meat, no veggies. Just the exquisite clam broth with just the right amount of salt, to awaken my taste buds and make me ravenously hungry for the main course, without filling me.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 11:35 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

aren't the clam shells kinda crunchy?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:28 AM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
aren't the clam shells kinda crunchy?
I think they're just there for the looks. :D But if you want to much 'em...

Ya can't go wrong with a great salad either, mut it defineatley ahs to be a greens kind of thing. It can't be heavy, and must not overpower the taste buds.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:24 AM   #40
Sous Chef

Hands down, my favorite has to be Turkish Borek - all kinds. I especially like the kind that just have Kashar cheese, but I also really like the kind that have spinach and feta, and the kind that have pasterma and kashar.

We also love making snacking on various Crudite.

Tags
None