"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
Thanks for the recommendation. I've always wanted to go to a wine tasting. Unfort., I plan to do that on trips to places and never end up doing it.....probably a good thing though since I'm the one that always drives on long trips...... . I think I'd just have to sample them all.

I did just hear of a wine store not too far from here. Their varieties are made locally I guess. And there is suppose to be a large vineyard somewhere here in Indiana that has had high remarks. I think I'll go google that and see if its near here.

Thanks again for the cheese recommendations.
__________________

__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 751
The plainer the cracker the better when it comes to cheese, pate and the like. I prefer just plain watercrackers, they're fairly low in sodium (taste wise) so as to not interfere with the flavour of the cheese. They are nothing more than a cheese-to-mouth delivery vehicle.

What about those little mini toast things? They go well with some small things.

And I know it isn't a cracker, but what about pumpernickel bread? Goes so well with some things.
__________________

__________________
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
The problem with "water crackers" is that they crack & crumble at the slightest touch.

At least the ones available here (Carr) do. They're less then worthless for anything.
__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,357
Smoked oysters, assortment of crackers & good cheese, grapes, figs & so on with white wine. I call it a blind date, lol - a fig stuffed with an almond.

Caviar on a ritz with a dollup of sour cream & with what else - champagne. Shrimp cocktail on the side would be nice.

Shrimp/crab - most seafood.

Chopped liver - pate on just 'bout any cracker.

Cream cheese, Nova Scotia, & onions - better on a bagel.

Thinly sliced strawberries and/or kiwis on a cracker with herbed cream cheese.

Tapenade or caponata..
__________________
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:39 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Union City Michigan next to a Nudist Resort
Posts: 104
My latest snack was saltines lightly licked and more salt added, I love the salt.
Or pickled jalapenos right from the jar and a cracker to soften the burn.
__________________

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:11 AM   #16
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Thanks for the recommendation. I've always wanted to go to a wine tasting. Unfort., I plan to do that on trips to places and never end up doing it.....probably a good thing though since I'm the one that always drives on long trips...... . I think I'd just have to sample them all.

I did just hear of a wine store not too far from here. Their varieties are made locally I guess. And there is suppose to be a large vineyard somewhere here in Indiana that has had high remarks. I think I'll go google that and see if its near here.

Thanks again for the cheese recommendations.
I think I'm lucky that the town I grew up in was wine country (vinyards as well as a brewery). Plus my parents were huge wine connoisseurs but not alchoholics. Well actually my mom did drink wine to "relax" a bit too often. But overall I feel lucky I was exposed to good wine and cheese at a young age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
The plainer the cracker the better when it comes to cheese, pate and the like. I prefer just plain watercrackers, they're fairly low in sodium (taste wise) so as to not interfere with the flavour of the cheese. They are nothing more than a cheese-to-mouth delivery vehicle.

What about those little mini toast things? They go well with some small things.

And I know it isn't a cracker, but what about pumpernickel bread? Goes so well with some things.
Really? The cracker is an important element to me.
And btw all I just realized that in my first post where I said "wheat cracker" I meant "vegitable cracker".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Smoked oysters, assortment of crackers & good cheese, grapes, figs & so on with white wine. I call it a blind date, lol - a fig stuffed with an almond.

Caviar on a ritz with a dollup of sour cream & with what else - champagne. Shrimp cocktail on the side would be nice.

Shrimp/crab - most seafood.

Chopped liver - pate on just 'bout any cracker.

Cream cheese, Nova Scotia, & onions - better on a bagel.

Thinly sliced strawberries and/or kiwis on a cracker with herbed cream cheese.

Tapenade or caponata..
Those all sound wonderful right now (except the chopped liver, but thats just me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane1415
My latest snack was saltines lightly licked and more salt added, I love the salt.
Or pickled jalapenos right from the jar and a cracker to soften the burn.
Hmmm... you're tastes are...uhhh.... interesting.
Just kidding! Thats awesome, we're just different.
__________________
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,766
i'm with the "there's so many, how can i choose" people.

but my most common combos are:

any rustic wheat cracker, the rusticker ( ) the better, topped with extra sharp and creamy irish cheddar, chopped raw onions, and either golden's spicy brown, maille dijon, or coleman's hot mustard.

plain, lightly salted rice or wheat crackers served with a mini whole brie cheese that has been pressed in slivered almonds and baked until it's just gooey but doesn't run when the structural integrity of the rind is compromised, on a pool of sweet raspberry or blackberry sauce.

a stoned wheat thin, topped with a slice of ripe roma tomatoes or roasted red pepper (or both), a hockey puck of goat cheese, and put under a broiler just to toast the cheese a little.

carr's table water crackers, with a spicy pepper-jack cheese, and slices of apples or pears.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Michael in FtW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
I like wheat crackers, saltines, Ritz, and Club - depending on my mood and what they are going to accompany. But, if I just want a "crunch" and don't want the flavor of the cracker to detract from the cheese ... nothing IMHO beats Water Biscuits.
__________________
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:00 AM   #19
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
New discover tonight: Keebler Club crackers + Colby Jack Cheese. Very delish.
__________________
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:09 AM   #20
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
I like the Carr's Water Crackers with delicate soft cheese & pate's, but for some reason, by themselves I can't help thinking I'm in the brig on a schooner eating thin hardtack - lol!!!
__________________

__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.