"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,667
What makes a kosher pickle kosher?

This subject has probably been covered ad nauseum here, but what makes a kosher pickle kosher? Mom swore up and down that Kosher pickles contain no vinegar. She says she learned this from her bubbeh. Some articles on the web claim that garlic makes kosher pickles kosher. I know, of course, that for a food to be considered “kosher,” it must be prepared and packaged according to the laws. That’s not what I’m talking about.

So, what exactly is a “kosher” pickle?

__________________

__________________
Dance like no one’s watching, sing like no one’s listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,729
So you're asking what the difference is between a dill pickle and a kosher dill pickle?

I like the Wiki definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_cucumber
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,575
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thanks for the link Andy. So, that sort of corroborates Joel's mum. A traditionally fermented pickle wouldn't have any vinegar.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 9,934
Hopefully Charlie will see this and weigh in. I remember some of his posts about kosher pickles.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,490
I always considered the "kosher" was in reference to the type of salt used in making the brine. Brine doesn't always mean vinegar.

Although I have made sweet pickles (with vinegar) - my 'dill pickles' were less than spectacular. If memory serves, I did use a vinegar brine because it was easier than going the salt brine - my bad.

Other than beets which I do every couple of years, I rarely make pickles of any kind now. I just don't have enough pickle loving consumers to consume my favourite consumables.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Brine doesn't always mean vinegar.

.

"Brine," by definition, always means salt water.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,575
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
"Brine," by definition, always means salt water.
^^This
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,490
LOL - got me! I was walking away from my desk when it suddenly dawned on me exactly what I had said!

Tarnation! Knew that wouldn't fly with a bunch of foodies!
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
This subject has probably been covered ad nauseum here, but what makes a kosher pickle kosher? Mom swore up and down that Kosher pickles contain no vinegar. She says she learned this from her bubbeh. Some articles on the web claim that garlic makes kosher pickles kosher. I know, of course, that for a food to be considered “kosher,” it must be prepared and packaged according to the laws. That’s not what I’m talking about.

So, what exactly is a “kosher” pickle?

To make it even more confusing, the only way the pickle can be made None Kosher if somebody adds pork meat to it, or blood, or some sea foods.

Otherwise, pickles are inherently kosher. Why they called this way i do not know. Just like for example Kosher salt. Only in America it's called Kosher salt. Salt is perfectly kosher and is called all kind different names in other countries.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,490
Charlie, that's what we are trying to say.

Kosher dill pickles have nothing to do with the religious aspect of the word 'Kosher'. It is in reference to the type of salt grain known as Kosher, which is not in reference to the religious aspect of the name either.

Clear as mud.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:54 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
luckytrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southeastern pa.
Posts: 11,964
A "kosher" dill pickle is not necessarily kosher in the sense that it has been prepared in accordance with Jewish dietary law. Rather, it is a pickle made in the traditional manner of Jewish New York City pickle makers, with generous addition of garlic and dill to a natural salt brine.
__________________
“Popcorn for breakfast! Why not? It's a grain. It's like, like, grits, but with high self-esteem.”
― James Patterson
luckytrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytrim View Post
A "kosher" dill pickle is not necessarily kosher in the sense that it has been prepared in accordance with Jewish dietary law. Rather, it is a pickle made in the traditional manner of Jewish New York City pickle makers, with generous addition of garlic and dill to a natural salt brine.
I agree with you to a degree.

If you look at a jar of any "Kosher Dills" you will see that they are in fact all kosher. And a lot of them are not prepared in traditional "New York" style, a lot of them have vinegar which is a totally different animal, if you ask me. In Russian, for example, there is even a different name for it.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I always considered the "kosher" was in reference to the type of salt used in making the brine. Brine doesn't always mean vinegar.

Although I have made sweet pickles (with vinegar) - my 'dill pickles' were less than spectacular. If memory serves, I did use a vinegar brine because it was easier than going the salt brine - my bad.

Other than beets which I do every couple of years, I rarely make pickles of any kind now. I just don't have enough pickle loving consumers to consume my favourite consumables.
According to Ina Garten (Jewish- American TV cook) "Kosher" Salt is called that because it's used for "koshering" meat in line with religious requirements, not because the salt itself specially treated under religious rules.

It is different in that it has much larger crystals the ordinary table salt so IIRC you need to use more Kosher salt than "normal" table salt if you use it a recipe. However, this applies to any large crystal salt (eg some brands of sea salt such as Malden salt or Halen Môn or any equivalents thereof where you are). Also, if you use it in baking you need to grind it down otherwise you could end up with salt crystals in your cookies, etc. (Unfortunately, I know this from personal baking experience!!!)
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Just about to look for my mother's recipe for beetroot and apple chutney (quite sweet as chutneys go but so not as vinegar-y and no hot spices as in a lot of other chutneys so, according to my Mother, it's suitable for children). I made some apple chutney in the autumn - the recipe includes *Bramley* apples & raisins. Of course, I was distracted by a programme on the wireless and instead of leaving the raisins out when I "whizzed" it and then adding them later, I shoved the whole lot in the mincer. Tastes rather peculiar compared with the usual.

(*Bramleys* are a breed of cooking apples which seem to be only known in Britain. They "fall" when cooked rather than staying in chunks like american cooking apples. Sour so used in apple sauce to eat with pork or when sweetened ar used for apple pies, etc. If interested look Bramleys up on Wikipaedia - the origin is interesting and the one tree that all Bramleys are descended from is still growing in a garden in Nottinghamshire - it grew from a pip planted by a child in 1802). It's still there - my cousins live round the corner from the garden and the tree.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I agree with you to a degree.

If you look at a jar of any "Kosher Dills" you will see that they are in fact all kosher. And a lot of them are not prepared in traditional "New York" style, a lot of them have vinegar which is a totally different animal, if you ask me. In Russian, for example, there is even a different name for it.
Like many things these days, Charlie, the current iteration has sometimes strayed far from the original.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #16
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
According to Ina Garten (Jewish- American TV cook) "Kosher" Salt is called that because it's used for "koshering" meat in line with religious requirements, not because the salt itself specially treated under religious rules.

It is different in that it has much larger crystals the ordinary table salt so IIRC you need to use more Kosher salt than "normal" table salt if you use it a recipe. However, this applies to any large crystal salt (eg some brands of sea salt such as Malden salt or Halen Môn or any equivalents thereof where you are). Also, if you use it in baking you need to grind it down otherwise you could end up with salt crystals in your cookies, etc. (Unfortunately, I know this from personal baking experience!!!)
There is special Pickling salt sold in US.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post

It is different in that it has much larger crystals the ordinary table salt so IIRC you need to use more Kosher salt than "normal" table salt if you use it a recipe.
In the US, Diamond Crystal and Morton's are the leading brands of Kosher salt. They are different densities so the volumes used will be different. Cookbook and recipe writers should specify which brand of Kosher salt they used.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:51 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,093
I have seen TV cooks/chefs state that Kosher salt is called that because it contains ONLY salt and no other additives or impurities.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #19
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
There is special Pickling salt sold in US.
The pickling salt is basically kosher salt (pure salt, no additives) very finely ground, so that it dissolves almost instantly. I keep a container of this over my stove , labeled "bread and pickling salt", and use it anywhere that I want the salt to dissolve immediately. Good for bread making, too. I just grind up kosher salt to a flour like salt, in the blender.
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I have seen TV cooks/chefs state that Kosher salt is called that because it contains ONLY salt and no other additives or impurities.
Don't believe everything you see or hear on TV
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×