"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 09-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #91
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
You're making roast duck sound entirely too tempting, especially the part about liver on toast. Mmmmm. A trivial question: Are they always ducklings; if not, is a juvie preferred over just duck if I should have a choice at the frozen bird bin?

My dear DIL, who is a 'particular' eater, won't eat things that are the wrong color -- no purple beans, no yellow cauliflower, etc. Just won't try them. Still and all, I don't have to guess about her likes and dislikes, none of this, 'well, I'll try it, but I won't like it' then, surprise, not liking it. I've moved on from that particular dead horse - can't see the point.

PS: No one can make me like likkerish.
not quite sure i'm following the problem you're envisioning with your dil who won't eat wrong colored things, and the connection with duckling--referring to the dark meat? or d'mean duckling would still be considered a peculiar food by some? if you are spending the labor day weekend with your son and dil, and she is a finicky eater, perhaps the roast duck for another time? as to the size of you frozen duckling, they are very uniform in weight. your duck will most likely weigh between six and eight pounds. i think they all are young ducklings that you see at the market. if you want a larger bird, a goose weighs almost twice as much as a ducking and the taste is very similar. i think if i needed to feed a lot of people i would just buy an extra duck. don't expect it to be cheap. unlike bolas' lucky sale ducks, i've never seen one on sale in this country. i usually pay about $20.00 m/l for my bird. worth every penny, too....

Old 09-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #92
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
not quite sure i'm following the problem you're envisioning with your dil who won't eat wrong colored things, and the connection with duckling--referring to the dark meat? or d'mean duckling would still be considered a peculiar food by some? if you are spending the labor day weekend with your son and dil, and she is a finicky eater, perhaps the roast duck for another time? as to the size of you frozen duckling, they are very uniform in weight. your duck will most likely weigh between six and eight pounds. i think they all are young ducklings that you see at the market. if you want a larger bird, a goose weighs almost twice as much as a ducking and the taste is very similar. i think if i needed to feed a lot of people i would just buy an extra duck. don't expect it to be cheap. unlike bolas' lucky sale ducks, i've never seen one on sale in this country. i usually pay about $20.00 m/l for my bird. worth every penny, too....
$20. Sharp intake of breath. But now I'll be semi-prepared when shopping. The Labor Day Duck will be all mine and since it's big enough for several meals, an OK deal, even w/buying some Yukon golds.

The colored food thing was my mixing several posts in this thread in addition to yours. Sorry if I misled.

Thanks to the Intrepid Ms. V and others, it's duck on Monday, come heck or high water, and the way things have been going lately....

Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #93
Executive Chef

...on second thought, buying expensive yukons? absolutely unnecessary! don't know what i was thinking. any potato...roasting in duck fat...bliss...hard to improve on bliss.... :)
Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #94
Master Chef

My first goose was a full grown bird from a farmer who I had done a favor for. I simply roasted it on a bed of foil balls to raise it above the fat. The bird was corn fed and reminded me of really well flavored beef, rich and red. My DW didn't care for it. To this day, I don't understand why. I thought it was just plain delicious. I've made goose a couple more times and again, I love it. Wish the DW had a wider range of food likes. But ya know, it's now been scientifically proven that people have wildly different sensitivities to various taste compounds in foods, and that it's not just a state of mind, but an actual physical property of receptors on the tongue and in the nose. Oh well. Can't change what can't be changed. I love her anyway, even if she doesn't like dark meat. Besides, her tastes mean I get the sharp cheddar and liverwurst to myself.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #95
Head Chef

Don't ask if I wanna buy a duck -- I've already got one. The duck I chose, among 6 identical frozen lumps, was priced at $17.76. I took that as a good omen. So my duck is in the fridge, really frozen hard; I hope it is thawed by Monday.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

this thread is killing me.

haven't had duck for a long time. the last time i made it at home, on the showtime rotisserie thingamajob, the whole house stunk of duck fat for a week. so much so dw has banned it from our house.

hmmm, i wonder if i can tape off a portion of the kitchen like the way they do asbestos abatement, and cook the duck therein? maybe i can rig a can of febreeze to slowly fill the area to kill the smell?

lol, i really like roast duck.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #97
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
this thread is killing me.

haven't had duck for a long time. the last time i made it at home, on the showtime rotisserie thingamajob, the whole house stunk of duck fat for a week. so much so dw has banned it from our house.

hmmm, i wonder if i can tape off a portion of the kitchen like the way they do asbestos abatement, and cook the duck therein? maybe i can rig a can of febreeze to slowly fill the area to kill the smell?

lol, i really like roast duck.

I don't want to over think it, but how about an exhaust fan in the kitchen window.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #98
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Don't ask if I wanna buy a duck -- I've already got one. The duck I chose, among 6 identical frozen lumps, was priced at $17.76. I took that as a good omen. So my duck is in the fridge, really frozen hard; I hope it is thawed by Monday.
Wanna buy a monkey?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #99
Executive Chef

Good for frying thin slice potatoes.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #100
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Good for frying thin slice potatoes.
Dose it take long to teach the monkey to fry very thin sliced potatoes? Do you have problems with the monkey eating the fried potatoes before you can get to them. Is the monkey stronger than you, and if so, is that aroma, or muscularity?

Just kidding. I knew you weren't responding to PF's comment about buying a monkey. But I'm in the mood to celebrate. I can't quite say why yet. That's PAG"s job. But everyone will know soon enough.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck, duck fat, fat, other