"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 07-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #41
Assistant Cook

Duck Fat Bruchetta

Chill in freezer 2-4 oz of duck fat while you do this prep.
6-8 oz of duck fat, 6 roma tomatoes, 1 med minced onion, 2 tsb minced garlic, some zest and juice of 1 lemon or orange , some tarragon sprigs and parsley. Cook on med high, combine everything, add a dash of sugar. Pinch of salt and let cool. place tarragon springs in a scissor and strip the leaves discard the stalk and serve on crusty bread, Just before take out to the guests dollop some of the chilled duck fat on top. Champagne or Cold Duck!

Old 07-03-2011, 03:14 AM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
how long should i cook the invaders to achieve nicely browned, medium-rare, dark meat roasts? my mother-in-law used to use boiling water as a cooking medium for preparing such uninvited scoundrels. she served them with her famous glutenous potato bread rolls, and saved her duck fat for her confit.
After they fall to the ground, you have to clonk 'em on the head. That'll keep 'em from flailing around. Then, you're looking at about 12 minutes per pound, unless you first stuff them with fruit. Then, you have to go at least 15 minutes per pound in the boiling duck fat. A little salt and pepper, and maybe some rubbed sage goes nicely in this meal.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the British Isles (you didn't really think I'd sign my name to this one, now didja?)

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
how long should i cook the invaders to achieve nicely browned, medium-rare, dark meat roasts? my mother-in-law used to use boiling water as a cooking medium for preparing such uninvited scoundrels. she served them with her famous glutenous potato bread rolls, and saved her duck fat for her confit.
Must you encourage him? Now we'll have to listen to him tell the story over and over again (he's forgetful) about the time people thought he was funny when he suggested using duck fat to fry invaders.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
After they fall to the ground, you have to clonk 'em on the head. That'll keep 'em from flailing around. Then, you're looking at about 12 minutes per pound, unless you first stuff them with fruit. Then, you have to go at least 15 minutes per pound in the boiling duck fat. A little salt and pepper, and maybe some rubbed sage goes nicely in this meal.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the British Isles (you didn't really think I'd sign my name to this one, now didja?)
you men -always with the clonking. the invaders need to be gently anesthetized. then, care should be taken to avoid unduly bruising the meat prior to dressing.:
Old 07-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
you men -always with the clonking. the invaders need to be gently anesthetized. then, care should be taken to avoid unduly bruising the meat prior to dressing.:
I thought a good beating broke up the protein fibers and helped tenderize the meat? Or is that done after dressing?
Old 07-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Must you encourage him? Now we'll have to listen to him tell the story over and over again (he's forgetful) about the time people thought he was funny when he suggested using duck fat to fry invaders.
P.A.G., what did I teach you about being disrespectful. Your grounded young lady. Go to your room. And forget about those swordfish steaks, with the smoldering chicken on the side that I was going to bring over. You get a bologna sandwich, with not mustard!

Now get out the meat mallet. I fear we're do for an invasion from the Amazon Martians, and the fireproof dwarfs! I'll bring the kethchup and french fries.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #47
Executive Chef

You're not the boss of me anymore! And I'll gladly go to my room because it has air conditioning and it's supposed to get hot today.

As for those invaders...
Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #48
Sous Chef

any idea of how many of those 1 1/2 oz. packages I should use to make potatoe pancakes? 2 ?

THinking of using the rest to make ginger cookies.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #49
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
How'd I miss this thread?

Potatoes fried in duck fat are THE BEST! especially French fries.

Slices of bread fried in duck fat are also delicious. You can eat them as is for a snack, or cut them up for croutons.

Then again, you need gallons of it to make duck confit. (But you get more gallons of it when you're finished!)
Old 07-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm buying a duck! ...I hope I like it.

Tags
duck, duck fat, fat, other