What to do with duck fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dose it take long to teach the monkey to fry very thin sliced potatoes? Do you have problems with the monkey eating the fried potatoes before you can get to them. Is the monkey stronger than you, and if so, is that aroma, or muscularity?:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Just kidding. I knew you weren't responding to PF's comment about buying a monkey. But I'm in the mood to celebrate. I can't quite say why yet. That's PAG"s job. But everyone will know soon enough.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

She already let us know, you can now boil over with the news, GrandDaddy!

Today the secret word is "Baby." Congratulations, happy family with new baby!

Pretty anticlimactic for moi - le ducque is still too frozen to use today, so tomorrow will be Labor Day Duck Plus One day.

Best laid plans, etc. department. The frozen labor day duck finally thawed. It now is roasting away for its third hour @ 300 degrees, duly criss-crossed and trussed, making lots of duck fat. Smells really good.

The liver, which was larger than I expected it to be, was sauteed in butter with onion and cut in small pieces rather than mashed - and eaten on a buttered, toasted rye bread heel. Crikey.

i just had a long island duckling epiphany. i can and will be roasting a long island island duckling for christmas this year. ever since moving south from ny, i have been longing for that incomparable sweet tender taste of long island duckling, like we had at holidays when i was growing up. thanks to modern day technology, i can now order my (organic) long island duckling online. for a minimum order of $40.00, i can have my duckling (plus a 2 1/2 tub of rendered goose fat) mailed to me, shipped free. wheeee!!!

i am in heaven! i was prepared to spend my forty bucks on a peking duck meal this christmas. nice as that was last year, visions of sugar plums are dancing in my head, with dreams of a golden long island bird....

Last edited:
Did some shopping yesterday as we re going to be away overnight Friday-Saturday. Duck breasts were on Manager's Special so I picked up a couple and tossed them in the freezer. I now have three in reserve for those nights when SO isn't eating or wants something like salad for dinner.

Did some shopping yesterday as we re going to be away overnight Friday-Saturday. Duck breasts were on Manager's Special so I picked up a couple and tossed them in the freezer. I now have three in reserve for those nights when SO isn't eating or wants something like salad for dinner.
Your SO doesn't like duck? Or are you just miserly when it comes to duck? :D

Would be so great for a low carb diet, really satisfying.

Your SO doesn't like duck? Or are you just miserly when it comes to duck? :D

Would be so great for a low carb diet, really satisfying.

The hubby hates duck, can't even stand the smell of it cooking. He once worked for a duck factory. When I asked if he meant a farm he said nope, there was no way you could call it a farm. He worked slaughtering the ducks and said the only thing he could smell all day every day, even when he was off work, was duck blood and feces. Said it was a month after he left the job before he stopped smelling it. Whenever he smells duck now all he can smell is the duck factory.

I had tentative plans for duck on Thanksgiving; didn't happen. So now I have tentative plans for duck on Christmas - or Christmas Eve, maybe. As solidly frozen as they are, I'd best be bringing one home soon to give it sufficient time to thaw.

I hope I'm not repeating myself with this. My favorite way to use duck fat has been with those small commercial duck-fat portions (from Amazon). Get the very small-size yellow potatoes, leave the skins on, microwave half a dozen or so (cooking for one) 'til tender. Cut them in slices to give lots of surface for browning. Arrange the slices in a single layer in a pan of sizzling duck fat, turning once, until they are crispy, crispy, crispy all over. :yum: Wonderful.

try frying your potato pancakes or latkes in duck fat!! i can't believe i haven't thought to do this before, since we all KNOW that duck fat and potatoes are a marriage made in heaven. these days, i use a good potato pancake mix (gefen brand at the moment), for my potato pancake cravings. on this last occasion i fried up some great new (to me) sausage with my pancakes. it is a mild, garlicky pork sausage called 'san miniato'-- so yum! oh yes, and a dab of applesauce--delish lunch for when you're not counting calories.

Back
Top Bottom