What to do with duck fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad to say, I have no idea what duck, or duck fat, might taste like. My dad was a hunter and brought home plenty of wild ducks and geese when I was a kid, and I, after a taste, refused to eat them.

well dawg, high time to give it another go then, no? you may have been put off by the gamy taste as a child. i've never had anyone taste duck for the first time who didn't like it.... :)

Wild and farm raised will have different tastes.

I am not one to tell someone they should try something again they don't like (I hate when people tell me I just haven't had the right *their* grits).

Duck is one of my favorite meats, but don't expect the wild ones to have a lot of fat. The geese I have cooked were wild and the amount of fat I got out of them was disappointing. :)

What did you dislike about the wild duck?

FrankZ said:
Wild and farm raised will have different tastes.

I am not one to tell someone they should try something again they don't like (I hate when people tell me I just haven't had the right *their* grits).

Duck is one of my favorite meats, but don't expect the wild ones to have a lot of fat. The geese I have cooked were wild and the amount of fat I got out of them was disappointing. :)

What did you dislike about the wild duck?

I was little, I just remember it being gamey and nasty, with my mom warning us to watch out for buckshot!

Will have to give it another try some time!

My daughter, who is not known for a willingness to experiment with new foods, applies perfect logic to her refusing to eat duck. "It's all dark meat and I don't like dark meat."

To which I reply, "Roast beef is all dark meat and you don't have a problem with that." All to no avail. Oh well, more for me.

Andy M. said:
My daughter, who is not known for a willingness to experiment with new foods, applies perfect logic to her refusing to eat duck. "It's all dark meat and I don't like dark meat."

Precisely! Smart girl!

The duck in my pic was frozen, Sainsbury a national and more upmarket supermarket chain had the 2.2kgs = 4.85 lbs British duck reduced from £9.99 to £4.50 = $7.20 so as I like duck I tried one, it was delicious so I went back and bought 5.
I never buy frozen chicken because of how they are reared, ducks and geese have to be free range or barn reared with internal ponds otherwise they do not thrive.
This link may interest you the ducks are reared fou the UK and European Chinese restaurants, Cherry valley has 75% of that market.The link is below.

Last edited:
just a few more stray thoughts for your duckling adventure. be sure to roast some potatoes alongside your duck in the oven, even if you have other potato plans for your meal. you'll be glad you did. they'll sponge up all that ducky goodness. yukons, please. your packet of innards is a hit or miss affair. sauteing the liver(if you get it) and smearing it on bread is what i do with it too, something to snack while hungrily waiting for the ducky...adding some chicken giblets to the duck's works well if you liked a giblet stuffing. i love my sauerkraut bavarian style, with a generous ladle of duck fat, some caraway and brown sugar. duckling and sauerkraut go together like peaches and cream. (just a reminder) :) your rendered fat will keep, like bacon grease, indefinitely in your fridge. it will become a prized go to cooking companion for months to come....god tin, between you, bolas, and jessie, i've worked up a mighty strong craving for a duck myself. somehow, thanksgiving seems like way too long to wait any more.... :)

You're making roast duck sound entirely too tempting, especially the part about liver on toast. Mmmmm. A trivial question: Are they always ducklings; if not, is a juvie preferred over just duck if I should have a choice at the frozen bird bin?

My dear DIL, who is a 'particular' eater, won't eat things that are the wrong color -- no purple beans, no yellow cauliflower, etc. Just won't try them. Still and all, I don't have to guess about her likes and dislikes, none of this, 'well, I'll try it, but I won't like it' then, surprise, not liking it. I've moved on from that particular dead horse - can't see the point.

PS: No one can make me like likkerish. :-p

I know a good joke involving duck fat. Put it in the freezer, then scoop it into a bowl with an icecream scoop and serve it to somebody as lemon sorbet. Watch their face turn as they realise. Disgusting I know.

You're making roast duck sound entirely too tempting, especially the part about liver on toast. Mmmmm. A trivial question: Are they always ducklings; if not, is a juvie preferred over just duck if I should have a choice at the frozen bird bin?

My dear DIL, who is a 'particular' eater, won't eat things that are the wrong color -- no purple beans, no yellow cauliflower, etc. Just won't try them. Still and all, I don't have to guess about her likes and dislikes, none of this, 'well, I'll try it, but I won't like it' then, surprise, not liking it. I've moved on from that particular dead horse - can't see the point.

PS: No one can make me like likkerish. :-p

not quite sure i'm following the problem you're envisioning with your dil who won't eat wrong colored things, and the connection with duckling--referring to the dark meat? or d'mean duckling would still be considered a peculiar food by some? if you are spending the labor day weekend with your son and dil, and she is a finicky eater, perhaps the roast duck for another time? as to the size of you frozen duckling, they are very uniform in weight. your duck will most likely weigh between six and eight pounds. i think they all are young ducklings that you see at the market. if you want a larger bird, a goose weighs almost twice as much as a ducking and the taste is very similar. i think if i needed to feed a lot of people i would just buy an extra duck. don't expect it to be cheap. unlike bolas' lucky sale ducks, i've never seen one on sale in this country. i usually pay about $20.00 m/l for my bird. worth every penny, too....:)

not quite sure i'm following the problem you're envisioning with your dil who won't eat wrong colored things, and the connection with duckling--referring to the dark meat? or d'mean duckling would still be considered a peculiar food by some? if you are spending the labor day weekend with your son and dil, and she is a finicky eater, perhaps the roast duck for another time? as to the size of you frozen duckling, they are very uniform in weight. your duck will most likely weigh between six and eight pounds. i think they all are young ducklings that you see at the market. if you want a larger bird, a goose weighs almost twice as much as a ducking and the taste is very similar. i think if i needed to feed a lot of people i would just buy an extra duck. don't expect it to be cheap. unlike bolas' lucky sale ducks, i've never seen one on sale in this country. i usually pay about $20.00 m/l for my bird. worth every penny, too....:)

$20. Sharp intake of breath. But now I'll be semi-prepared when shopping. The Labor Day Duck will be all mine and since it's big enough for several meals, an OK deal, even w/buying some Yukon golds.

The colored food thing was my mixing several posts in this thread in addition to yours. Sorry if I misled.

Thanks to the Intrepid Ms. V and others, it's duck on Monday, come heck or high water, and the way things have been going lately....

...on second thought, buying expensive yukons? absolutely unnecessary! don't know what i was thinking. any potato...roasting in duck fat...bliss...hard to improve on bliss.... :)

My first goose was a full grown bird from a farmer who I had done a favor for. I simply roasted it on a bed of foil balls to raise it above the fat. The bird was corn fed and reminded me of really well flavored beef, rich and red. My DW didn't care for it. To this day, I don't understand why. I thought it was just plain delicious. I've made goose a couple more times and again, I love it. Wish the DW had a wider range of food likes. But ya know, it's now been scientifically proven that people have wildly different sensitivities to various taste compounds in foods, and that it's not just a state of mind, but an actual physical property of receptors on the tongue and in the nose. Oh well. Can't change what can't be changed. I love her anyway, even if she doesn't like dark meat. Besides, her tastes mean I get the sharp cheddar and liverwurst to myself.:ohmy:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Don't ask if I wanna buy a duck -- I've already got one. The duck I chose, among 6 identical frozen lumps, was priced at $17.76. I took that as a good omen. So my duck is in the fridge, really frozen hard; I hope it is thawed by Monday.

this thread is killing me.

haven't had duck for a long time. the last time i made it at home, on the showtime rotisserie thingamajob, the whole house stunk of duck fat for a week. so much so dw has banned it from our house.

hmmm, i wonder if i can tape off a portion of the kitchen like the way they do asbestos abatement, and cook the duck therein? maybe i can rig a can of febreeze to slowly fill the area to kill the smell?

lol, i really like roast duck.

this thread is killing me.

haven't had duck for a long time. the last time i made it at home, on the showtime rotisserie thingamajob, the whole house stunk of duck fat for a week. so much so dw has banned it from our house.

hmmm, i wonder if i can tape off a portion of the kitchen like the way they do asbestos abatement, and cook the duck therein? maybe i can rig a can of febreeze to slowly fill the area to kill the smell?

lol, i really like roast duck.

I don't want to over think it, but how about an exhaust fan in the kitchen window.

Don't ask if I wanna buy a duck -- I've already got one. The duck I chose, among 6 identical frozen lumps, was priced at $17.76. I took that as a good omen. So my duck is in the fridge, really frozen hard; I hope it is thawed by Monday.

Wanna buy a monkey?;)

Good for frying thin slice potatoes.

Dose it take long to teach the monkey to fry very thin sliced potatoes? Do you have problems with the monkey eating the fried potatoes before you can get to them. Is the monkey stronger than you, and if so, is that aroma, or muscularity?:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Just kidding. I knew you weren't responding to PF's comment about buying a monkey. But I'm in the mood to celebrate. I can't quite say why yet. That's PAG"s job. But everyone will know soon enough.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom