What to eat it's so HOT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We do the usual
Salads, Deviled eggs, Checca and Salsa's are must have for myself .
I like to grill up some chicken breasts in advance. Slice them up later for panini's and bruchetta's.

Munky.

We eat lots of D'mater sammiches, loaded with Dukes mayonnaise, and drink lots of ice cold tea... Then again, A/C is not optional here..It's must have....Old Ceiling fans, and high ceilings add to the comfort too. ~~~ Pretty much eat regular summertime foods...A gumbo is not out of the question at times however.

well.....yeah:)

Goodweed's Refreshing Cole Slaw:

Ingredients:
1 head green or purple cabbage, washed
1/4 cup Miracle Whip Salad Dressing or equivalent
3 tbs. sugar or sucralose(Splenda, Alterna, etc.)
1 medium sized yellow onion, peeled
3 carrots, peeled
3/4 cup ice water

Use a food processor to simplify this job as the veggies must be grated. I use a hand grater, but only because I don't have a food processor and the slaw is worth the work.

Grate the cabbage and carrot with the coarse grater blade. Mince the onion with a very sharp knife by removing the skin, cutting off the stem and bud ends, then making thin vertical cuts (top to bottom), turn 90 degrees and repeat, turn onion on its side and make thin cuts. Voila, finely minced onion with no tears produced.:D

Combine grated veggies with the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir thoroughly to combine. Taste, add more salad dressing or ice water to get it as juicy or creamy as you like (I like mine very juicy, yum). Chill until serving time.

This cole slaw will almost quench your thirst. You can also add things like broken walnuts or pecans, raisins, diced apple, etc. For a change in flavor, you can great in rutabaga, or chicama (silent C at the beginning of this word).

Some people would add grated black pepper to this slaw. A similar slaw is made with vinegar in it as well. The recipe I provided is similar to KFC cole slaw. Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Also, take a hint from countries close to the equator. The often eat dishes with hot peppers which make you sweat which in turn cools you down.
That's what my dad use to do:) I can't Tummy and scar tissue in throat make it impossible. But a hot drink does the trick.
cj;)

We do the usual
Salads, Deviled eggs, Checca and Salsa's are must have for myself .
I like to grill up some chicken breasts in advance. Slice them up later for panini's and bruchetta's.

Munky.
Nice idea, will do some grilling. Deviled eggs don't last long around here. I made 6 eggs last night put mayo, honey mustard chopped chives aaaaaaaasalt and pepper. GONE by 7.pm..Thanks Munky. How are you doing?
kades

We eat lots of D'mater sammiches, loaded with Dukes mayonnaise, and drink lots of ice cold tea... Then again, A/C is not optional here..It's must have....Old Ceiling fans, and high ceilings add to the comfort too. ~~~ Pretty much eat regular summertime foods...A gumbo is not out of the question at times however.
I wish summer lasted year round. Winter means the end of mater sammiches, something I love. I like them with may, warn from the sun and also with French bread, brushed with evoo and vinegar, salt and pepper. I could live on maters:)
Ice tea for me rest of them love diet soda yeesh or beer:cool: We have A?C but I hate the bills we get. DH just put in wonderful ceiling fans that we both love, what a difference they make. Sundays here are always active and food is king, I love my smoke and my s-i-l man's often. He is getting pretty good now all I have to do is convince him not to over cook pork :ROFLMAO:
kades

Goodweed's Refreshing Cole Slaw:

Ingredients:
1 head green or purple cabbage, washed
1/4 cup Miracle Whip Salad Dressing or equivalent
3 tbs. sugar or sucralose(Splenda, Alterna, etc.)
1 medium sized yellow onion, peeled
3 carrots, peeled
3/4 cup ice water

Use a food processor to simplify this job as the veggies must be grated. I use a hand grater, but only because I don't have a food processor and the slaw is worth the work.

Grate the cabbage and carrot with the coarse grater blade. Mince the onion with a very sharp knife by removing the skin, cutting off the stem and bud ends, then making thin vertical cuts (top to bottom), turn 90 degrees and repeat, turn onion on its side and make thin cuts. Voila, finely minced onion with no tears produced.:D

Combine grated veggies with the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir thoroughly to combine. Taste, add more salad dressing or ice water to get it as juicy or creamy as you like (I like mine very juicy, yum). Chill until serving time.

This cole slaw will almost quench your thirst. You can also add things like broken walnuts or pecans, raisins, diced apple, etc. For a change in flavor, you can great in rutabaga, or chicama (silent C at the beginning of this word).

Some people would add grated black pepper to this slaw. A similar slaw is made with vinegar in it as well. The recipe I provided is similar to KFC cole slaw. Enjoy.

GW,
this looks wonderful. Will be making it this weekend. My gang love this kind of thing. I know it won't last long. Thank you
kades

Thank you for your kindness!

Cold Green Pea Salad

1 package frozen green peas, uncooked and thawed
3 boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Ham, cut into small cubes
1/3 cup Cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
Grated cheese for topping

Directions:
Mix all together. Let set in the refrigerator before serving. Top with grated cheese.

Another, and very special cold dish I make for special occasions, is "Cold Cucumber Soup" - a strange concept, but wonderful flavor!

Cold Cucumber Soup

3 large peeled and deseeded and pared cucumbers
1 small container of sour cream
1 med. onion
1 clove garlic
3 cups or 1 box of chicken broth
2 Dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbls. of flour
1 Dash lemon juice
2 tsp. ea. thyme & oregano
Parsley for garnish
Salt & pepper to taste

In a pot combine cucumbers, garlic, onion, chicken broth, flour, spices, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce. Heat on medium and stir until the cucumbers and onion are soft. As soup begins to slightly thicken, use a stick blender, or process in a regular blender in small batches until it's smooth. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste. Chill well before serving. Garnish with a few chopped chives, parsley, and a dollop of sour cream.
Selkie,
Thank you for the recipes. I can hardly wait to make them both. My s-i-l and my grandson Ethan both will enjoy the recipe I kow they both will eat til they drop:LOL: Thanks again for sending them to me. I hope some of the others copy them and enjoy.
kades

One of our favorite meals in hot weather is a cold plate. Everything cold except I make fresh potato salad and serve it warm or room temperature. The rest of the meal consists of sliced ham, turkey, cheeses, crackers, sliced tomatoes and we usually have melon of some kind or strawberries or cold fruit of whatever is on hand. Of course we hve plenty of iced tea.

One of our favorite meals in hot weather is a cold plate. Everything cold except I make fresh potato salad and serve it warm or room temperature. The rest of the meal consists of sliced ham, turkey, cheeses, crackers, sliced tomatoes and we usually have melon of some kind or strawberries or cold fruit of whatever is on hand. Of course we hve plenty of iced tea.
That sounds so good licia. Thanks for the idea.
kades:)

Gotta throw in one more summer favorite. Love, love, love swordfish or brook trout fillets, cubed and put on kabobs, grilled over charcoal with cold cucumber slices on the side as a counterpoint. The fish should be simply seasoned with salt only, and let the smoke do the rest. Ok, throw in a glass of whatever your favorite cold drink is. For me, that would be milk, ice cold and from a glass, not plastic drinking vessel. Although I have to say, pan fried brookies dredged in flour and cooked in a couple inches of hot oil until golden brown on both sides, with a bit of ketchup on the side is pretty hard to beat.;) Love that crispy skin and orange meat.

Kadesma,

I'm doing well. Thankful to be home. Picking up some great summer dinner ideas. You guys are just too good! :chef:

Munky.

Kadesma,

I'm doing well. Thankful to be home. Picking up some great summer dinner ideas. You guys are just too good! :chef:

Munky.
That's great to hear, keep in touch. Let me know if you find any special sandwiches. I've got one that is a tomato sandwich I plan to mek for lucnhtomorrow.
kades

Back
Top Bottom