What to eat it's so HOT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure if the summer rolls mentioned are what I'm familiar with. Vietnamese, right? You first buy some "rice paper" at your local Asian grocery, if you're lucky enough to have one. Take a shallow pie pan, quiche pan, or baking pan with sides, and fill with water.

Then take shrimp, beef, chicken. All can be cooked or bought cooked (I like buying frozen, deveined shrimp, but a grocery store roasted chicken, or leftover meat from another meal, or just veggie is fine).

Grated cabbage, chifonnaded iceberg lettuce, leaf lettuce, chopped or julienned carrot, cucumber.
Chopped nuts, peanuts being traditional, and if you're sensitive, just leave 'em out.
Rice vermechelli (also known as bun). I often skip this to keep carbs in line for hubby, but if so, cook according to instructions, rinse under cold water, scizzor , then refridgerate)
Any fresh herbs you have or can get. Basil, mint, lemon balm or verbena, parsley, cilantro.

Like many Asian dishes, his is one place where mis en place is important.

Dipping sauces. Make your own from the myriad of those recipes out there (anything with lime juice is great), or buy them (which is what I do in the summer, especially): peanut sauce, plain soy, there are so many on the shelves that it hardly seems worth it, and you won't use a lot. Asian-inspired salad dressings work well, too.

First put a few of the"rice paper" wrappers in the shallow dish of water. Once one is pliable, move it to a clean towel. Then fill with whatever your heart desires. Use the cabbage or iceberg as the basis, then add the other stuff. Do not over-fill. In Vietnamese restaurants I've been to, the shrimp is halved lengthwise and added at the last folds so it looks pretty. If you're doing something else, a leaf of the herb shows (the wrappers become translucent and you can see through them, so they're quite pretty).

These can be made a little in advance. Just put a slightly damp, not terry cloth, towel on a cookie sheet, make them, then put a little more damp towel on top of them to keep the rice paper wrappers moist.

Thanks Claire, this looks so good and I've been wanting to know how to do them. We have several good Asian stores where my friend and I like to shop so will pick up things I need. Thanks again,
kades

Claire, that is what I learned to make exactly. They are so good. I found several youtube sites that told me how to make them, and used the menu of the local Vietnamese restaurant to determine what to put in them. It was so easy to make and is terrific for hot days. I mixed peanut butter with a bit of Hoisin sauce to dip mine in. I used a bit of roasted pork, sliced thin in strips; peeled shrimp; the rice noodles, a bit of cilantro, and some lettuce. I tossed the noodles with a bit of rice vinegar before making them. Totally yummy!

Kades, you will have fun making them. :)

I've solved the "day is so hot problem"...I ordered Chinese take out and ate it on the patio at home. I know, it's cheating but MY kitchen stayed cool. And I have enough left over for a couple more meals...microwaved. I've just been too hot to even think about cooking.

Claire, that is what I learned to make exactly. They are so good. I found several youtube sites that told me how to make them, and used the menu of the local Vietnamese restaurant to determine what to put in them. It was so easy to make and is terrific for hot days. I mixed peanut butter with a bit of Hoisin sauce to dip mine in. I used a bit of roasted pork, sliced thin in strips; peeled shrimp; the rice noodles, a bit of cilantro, and some lettuce. I tossed the noodles with a bit of rice vinegar before making them. Totally yummy!

Kades, you will have fun making them. :)
I bet I will. I've been wanting to learn for ages and the way Claire explained it. Perfect :)I like the idea of tossin the noodles in the rice vinegar.YUM
kades

don't now how i missed this hot weather thread til now--plenty of cool and tasty sounding dishes in these pages....frequently enjoying refreshing dishes of sherbet--cool summer flavors--lemon, raspberry, orange, lime....also, bought picnic paper plates and bowls to use INdoors to cut down on hot weather dish washing. i know, i know, lazy me--but it sorta-kinda works for me.... :)

caprese salad on toasted baguette
tuna or salmon salad
fresh veg steamed or lightly sauteed
chopped tomatoes and basil over angel hair
grilled chicken and veg over angel hair
deli sandwiches chips and salsa

caprese salad on toasted baguette
tuna or salmon salad
fresh veg steamed or lightly sauteed
chopped tomatoes and basil over angel hair
grilled chicken and veg over angel hair
deli sandwiches chips and salsa

i had to look up caprese salad--didn't know it was called that. oh yesss!! :) p.s. didn't realize til i was about to hit "post" this thread was from a heat wave LAST summer. deja vu all over again.... :)

Last edited:
Tropical fruit (papaya, mango, pineapple, star fruit chunks) mixed in with a a fruit juice slushy

Orange Julius
Cold pasta tuna salad
Jello Salad
Green Pea Salad
Chilled Fried Chicken
...are some of my family's summertime favorites.

Selkie, is your green pea salad posted here? I'd love to have the recipe.

You might like this for one of those hot days we are having. you need 4 fresh soft goat cheeses halved. put the cheeses into a large shallow pan I prefer glass. now take about 6-8 tab. of fresh chopped herbs, these being parsley, basil, tarragon, chervil if possible, thyme, crushed garlic about 3 cloves, 12-14 black peppercorns, and 2/3 cup evoo. We need salad leaves I prefer butter and frezee and endive torn ito bite sized pieces. Put the chopped herbs and garlic and peppercorns into f/p start machine and add evoo process til fairly smooth. Spoon the mixture over the cheeses, cover and leave to marinate in fridge for 24 hrs. Baste occasionally. Remove cheeses from fridge 30 min before serving allow to come to room temp. Place cheeses on the mix of the torn lettuces spoon a little of the evoo miz and herbs over the lettuce add salt and pepper also great to smear on a toasted baguette that you've rubbed with garlic. Or just serve bread and butter and grilled large shrimp nummy yummy
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom