What to eat it's so HOT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
What do you do when it's so hot you can hardly breath.
One of my favorite things is to take a baguette slice it and then make a garlic mayo. I use store bought mayo about a cup add 5-6 cloves of crushed garlic and add 1-2 tab. fresh lemon juise, several Tab of fresh chopped parsley and the same of snipped chives. Toast the bread lightly spread with the mayo and top with cucumber and then with cherry tomato slices.Another good topping to go one the bread is one made from anchovy and pesto.
enjoy
kades

Last edited:
I have lots of go-to foods, cheese and veggie platter, cheese, lettuce and fresh tomato on crusty italian bread, lots of salads, I keep egg salad and chicken salad on hand too, pasta salads, bean salads. Mix and match any of them.

Watermelon! It's the most cooling food there is. Alone, or in a salad with chunks of feta cheese andwhatever else sounds good to you.

Cucumber/dill soup or Tsatsiki, or a cucumber salad. Cukes are also very refreshing food.

We do lots of salads in this type of heat. A mustardy vinaigrette, some canned tuna or salmon, mixed greens (making sure some are very peppery for interest), and whatever veggies... and some crusty bread makes a whole meal without heating up the house.

the weather is dreadful here today too, very hot and humid..

the BEST meal my culinairily challanged mother would make was ice cream topped with fresh fruit for weather like this:LOL:

This is a peasant sandwich from Turkey that dh loves when it's hot out. It's just a good French or Greek Sheep's milk Feta, sliced fresh scallions, and sliced fresh tomato (still warm from the garden if at all possible) in a ww pita.

Personally, I like ice cream, too. :pig: Without the fruit. Double :pig:

We have A/C, so I just cook the usual stuff, although never the "winter" type of meals such as meaty stews and casseroles.

Tropical fruit (papaya, mango, pineapple, star fruit chunks) mixed in with a a fruit juice slushy

Orange Julius
Cold pasta tuna salad
Jello Salad
Green Pea Salad
Chilled Fried Chicken
...are some of my family's summertime favorites.

Watermelon! It's the most cooling food there is. Alone, or in a salad with chunks of feta cheese andwhatever else sounds good to you.

Cucumber/dill soup or Tsatsiki, or a cucumber salad. Cukes are also very refreshing food.

We do lots of salads in this type of heat. A mustardy vinaigrette, some canned tuna or salmon, mixed greens (making sure some are very peppery for interest), and whatever veggies... and some crusty bread makes a whole meal without heating up the house.
Thanks June,
you always have such good ideas . I love watermelon.DH is picking one up this morning.
kades

Gazpacho is my favorite hot weather food. Cheviche is a good one too.
GB, thanks, I'm so glad I asked. Hot weather is really here and I've been scrambling for things to keep us cool, these sound yummy.
cj

the weather is dreadful here today too, very hot and humid..

the BEST meal my culinairily challanged mother would make was ice cream topped with fresh fruit for weather like this:LOL:
Hi Beth,
that's just what I did, vanilla soft serve with your choice of strawberries,blueberries and cherries. it was pig out time, and it was great.
cj

This is a peasant sandwich from Turkey that dh loves when it's hot out. It's just a good French or Greek Sheep's milk Feta, sliced fresh scallions, and sliced fresh tomato (still warm from the garden if at all possible) in a ww pita.

Personally, I like ice cream, too. :pig: Without the fruit. Double :pig:

We have A/C, so I just cook the usual stuff, although never the "winter" type of meals such as meaty stews and casseroles.
That Sandwich is going to be next. It makes my mouth water just reading about it. This is why I like to share recipes, you get gold back:) Thanks again. We have AC but if we run it very much the bill hits 400.00 In a blink, so we use fans as much as we can or just go sit in the pool and be still and just enjoy the freedom of being together and our grandkids .
kades

Tropical fruit (papaya, mango, pineapple, star fruit chunks) mixed in with a a fruit juice slushy

Orange Julius
Cold pasta tuna salad
Jello Salad
Green Pea Salad
Chilled Fried Chicken
...are some of my family's summertime favorites.
Selkie, you have come through again, I like the idea of the slushy it sounds wonderful .Green pea salad one of my favorite veggie, how do you make it? I'd love to try it.
kades

another goodie if you can find great tomatoes, is a slice of whole grain toast spread with pesto or Dijon, a leaf of crisp lettuce [Romaine?] and a slice of tomato and topped with a quickly sauted fillet of sole or flounder (make sure it gets crispy on the edges and top).
also, in Spain, they make a gazpacho of ground almonds and almond milk that is really tasty and cooling.

Cold cantaloupe soup is a good one, too.

Also, take a hint from countries close to the equator. The often eat dishes with hot peppers which make you sweat which in turn cools you down.

Gazpacho is my favorite hot weather food. Cheviche is a good one too.
I second the gazpacho, and add cold, desert soups. Cold jellow salads are very refreshing, as are fruit smoothies as well. And don't forget a good blt with an ice cold root beer float to go with it, and maybe a wet and refreshing cole slaw. I have a cole slaw recipe that is very refreshing and satisfying if anyone wants it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Selkie, you have come through again, I like the idea of the slushy it sounds wonderful .Green pea salad one of my favorite veggie, how do you make it? I'd love to try it.
kades

Thank you for your kindness!

Cold Green Pea Salad

1 package frozen green peas, uncooked and thawed
3 boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Ham, cut into small cubes
1/3 cup Cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
Grated cheese for topping

Directions:
Mix all together. Let set in the refrigerator before serving. Top with grated cheese.

Another, and very special cold dish I make for special occasions, is "Cold Cucumber Soup" - a strange concept, but wonderful flavor!

Cold Cucumber Soup

3 large peeled and deseeded and pared cucumbers
1 small container of sour cream
1 med. onion
1 clove garlic
3 cups or 1 box of chicken broth
2 Dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbls. of flour
1 Dash lemon juice
2 tsp. ea. thyme & oregano
Parsley for garnish
Salt & pepper to taste

In a pot combine cucumbers, garlic, onion, chicken broth, flour, spices, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce. Heat on medium and stir until the cucumbers and onion are soft. As soup begins to slightly thicken, use a stick blender, or process in a regular blender in small batches until it's smooth. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste. Chill well before serving. Garnish with a few chopped chives, parsley, and a dollop of sour cream.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom