"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
Master Chef

What's Your Favorite Kind of Olive

My favorite olive is the Castelvetrano olive, followed by black, ripe olives, medium sized. I'm also fond of garlic-stuffed olives. What's your favorites, and how do you use them?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
Master Chef

Mezzetta olives stuffed with jalepeños. Perfect with a cocktail on a nice evening on the patio.

CD

Old 06-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Kalamata olives are my favorite.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:47 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I love Kalamata olives. I am also quite fond of some garlic stuffed green olives we bought as well as some seasoned, Provençal, green olives.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I love Kalamata olives. I am also quite fond of some garlic stuffed green olives we bought as well as some seasoned, Provençal, green olives.
I bought some garlic stuffed olives a few months ago, and I expected to love them. But, for some reason, I didn't like them at all. That really caught me by surprise.

CD
Old 06-30-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I like most all olives. I found I liked the Lindsay brand of pimento stuffed green olives. They tasted 'just right', not too acidic, not too anything. And I'm pretty much anti-brand, I don't usually worry about brands too much.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:27 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

You guys have heard me mention this local/regional brand before. They have a nice selection of quality stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kalamata-olives-pitted-65-oz-jar.jpg.png
Views:	24
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	35385  
Old 06-30-2019, 11:59 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Probably kalamata are my favorites, mainly because they are the most available. It's been so long sense I used to get a lot of other varieties, but I rarely go to those markets any more. There were some that I would get to cook with that I didn't even know the names of, but they were good to mix with kalamatas, and the oily types, for some recipes. And some other olives that I used to get at a gas station, that a Turkish guy ran, surprised me, as I didn't realize that such good olives came from Turkey! He had a bunch of interesting foods there.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:42 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Black and Kalmata are my first choice.

Theres a other one, not sure the name. Its a longer variety, proportioned similar to a date. Usually sold together in tow colors ( red and a unique color green). I always seek those out when Im at an olive bar.

I like the garlic stuffed too, but I had a bad experience once. I bought what I thought was garlic stuffed, just to bite into it and realize something was horribly wrong. Spit it out, looked at the label, and saw it was stuffed with Tuna. Even when I ate meat, I never liked any kind of sea food at all. Its one of those things I just don't understand how people like. Anyway now everytime I see a stuffed olive, I get that feeling in my stomach.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:50 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Whats funny about olives in our family, when we were young, olives were considered a treat, so they were only served at dinners during special occasions. My Brother, sister and I would literally fight over them. My mom would have to hide them somewhere until the moment she actually served them, or we would eat them before it was dinner time ( and we'd get screamed at). When she finally served them, she had to scope out the best place to either place the bowl of olives, or strategically hand the bowl to one person at the table , and have it passed around in a certain direction that would put me and my brother as the last ones to get the bowl, cause she knew we would grab hands full and finish them up. She then got wiser and had a decoy bowl of olives that she knew my brother an I would raid, but would give the other guests a chance to get their olives from the second bowl. Now fast forward a few decades. My brother and I are in our 50's now, and my mother still plays the same game with the olives, serving techniques, decoy bowls. I laughed every time, because even to this day we get in arguments about who gets the olive bowl first, and who took too many.. when we could just go to the store at any time and splurge $2 or less to get our own can of olives. Its just more fun and they taste better when you know you got more than your sibling My mom yells at us, as if we were 6 or 8 years old.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None