Which cheese for grilled lobster sandwiches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

profnot

Cook
I just saw a picture of a platter of small lobster sandwiches. They looked yummy!

What kind of cheese would you use?

And what kind of mayonnaise / dressing?

Another vote for "no cheese". My lobster sandwich preference is melted sweet butter if the lobster is warm, best mayo you have if the lobster is cold.

I don't like lobster rolls, myself. But yes, that are primarily lobster and mayo.

The only cheese I can think of would be grated Parmigiana Reggiano, used sparingly with some lobster meat sautéed in butter on a toasted baguette or hoagie roll. I just made that up. It sounds good in my head. Your results may differ. ;)

CD

I haven’t made or used lobster in quite a while, but I think that a nice mild cheese like provolone would be very nice in a lobster roll. It goes really well with krab!

We get crayfish here which are similar to your lobster. I do swaps so I always have 3 or 4 in the freezer. Now this might sound funny but this is an amazing sammich.
I discovered it by accident when in kaikoura years ago.
Buttered white bread, mashed boiled egg with butter so it's soft as. Liberal slices of cray, then thousand island dressing, lots pepper.

Voila

Russ

The only time I use cheese on lobster is when I make lobster diablo.

Pictures don't have taste buds. Just because it looks appetizing doesn't mean it's the best way to eat lobster. Lobster meat is delicate, and it's easily overpowered. The best lobster rolls are just lobster meat with a minimal amount of mayo, served on bland New England style hot dog buns. Some add a tiny amount of chives or celery, but personally I don't like either. I would never hide the lobster flavor with cheese, salad dressing, or any spices.

I haven’t made or used lobster in quite a while, but I think that a nice mild cheese like provolone would be very nice in a lobster roll. It goes really well with krab!

provolone was my first thought as well- Small pieces and not too much.

The only time I use cheese on lobster is when I make lobster diablo.

now I have to look that up-

Pictures don't have taste buds. Just because it looks appetizing doesn't mean it's the best way to eat lobster. Lobster meat is delicate, and it's easily overpowered. ......

Pictures may not have taste buds but they can make your taste buds drool!

Hellman's might be a good choice but yes, you must go lightly as with all the seasonings. I personally do add stuff but again... lightly. I like the crunch of a tiny bit of celery, the moisture of the dressing to help hold it together, I also have a preference for white pepper.

Although adding cheese is not "traditional" - "yuh gots'ta try everything once, twice if yuh likes it!" and create your own tradition.

Although adding cheese is not "traditional" - "yuh gots'ta try everything once, twice if yuh likes it!" and create your own tradition.

I might try a tiny bit of good Parm on one bite, but some things just don't need much enhancement. And sometimes an "enhancement" turns out to be a detriment.

provolone was my first thought as well- Small pieces and not too much.

now I have to look that up-

Pictures may not have taste buds but they can make your taste buds drool!

Hellman's might be a good choice but yes, you must go lightly as with all the seasonings. I personally do add stuff but again... lightly. I like the crunch of a tiny bit of celery, the moisture of the dressing to help hold it together, I also have a preference for white pepper.

Saved ya the trouble!;)

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/lobster-diablo-70320.html

I just remembered that, about this time last year, I had Lobster Mac and Cheese at a place in Los Angeles. It was really good.

Most recipes I find on the web use a blend of some kind of creamy cheese, like gruyere, and some kind of tangy cheese, like feta or blu cheese.

CD

I DO NOT like cheese and lobster at all, except for a well made lobster mac and cheese, a very popular dish here.

Let the lobster shine!

Lobster can have cheese - or what ever the chef of the day wants!

Lobster Thermidor (Parm)- Mac 'n Cheese c Lobster (American/Cheddar) - Lobster and Cheese Sandwich (gruyere-provolone) - Lobster and Cheese Dip (cream cheese-parm+others) - Lobster and Cheese Ravioli (cream cheese-goat-ricotta+others)

If you lost the taste of lobster in your recipe - then your bad :ohmy: you added too much! :LOL:

As much as I love good ole plain Lobster with Garlic Butter - I also love other recipes and should they have cheese in them - yum! Anything with lobster is good!:yum::yum::yum:

All I'm trying to say is "Never say Never!" and do your own thing.

Last edited:
No Cheese. This week lobsters are only $4.99 lb. I will be buying one for my lobster sandwich on a toasted hot dog roll.

Enjoy Addie - I'm lobster green with envy. We have less than a month of specials on lobster and crab - which is why I pig out on them when available.

At the moment they've gone back to their "normal" price of $15.99 a pound.

Let the lobster shine!
+100 !!!! :chef:

I'm fortunate that I can buy lobsters from the pound in the harbor. I don't know what kind of salt water the supermarket keeps them in, but I'm pretty sure it's tap water with salt added. The lobsters from the pound are better. I only steam them, never boiled. No butter for me, as I really enjoy the slightly salty, sweet taste of the lobster. I would never mask the flavor with any kind of cheese.

Back
Top Bottom