"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 09-14-2005, 12:44 AM   #31
Master Chef

thats a good idea

Old 09-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #32
Executive Chef

when I have served a really big assortment at the antipasto, I make the rest of the meal light...a simple pasta with a "lite" sauce: simple marinara or putanesca, or garlic, cheese, peas and mushrooms with evoo. and finish with a salad. very Italian btw.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Smoked Salmon, Brie & Mushroom Baskets

Won Ton wrappers
Olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
4 or 5 cloves minced garlic
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup brie cheese
5 slices smoked salmon
Parsley

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Trim the won ton wrappers to approximately 2 1/2-inch squares with scissors. Spray a miniature muffin tin with olive oil; spray the won ton wrappers lightly, and gently press into muffin tin. Bake approximately 7 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

In a large frying pan, melt butter; saute the mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper until there is no more liquid left. Remove from heat and cool; spoon into prepared won ton baskets.

For each won ton basket: Pinch off a small piece of brie cheese & place it on top of the mushrooms. Cut a triangle piece of smoked salmon and drape it on top of the cheese. Just before serving, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place into oven just long enough to melt the brie cheese. Remove from oven, sprinkle parsley on top and serve warm.

I like won tons cups because you can be creative with the fillings - seafood dip or dip of choice, pate, guacamole, etc. If using a reg size muffin tin, try placing a whole won ton skin in each cup, or overlapping two skins to look like a flower petal.

Smoked Salmon Roses

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill plus whole sprigs for garnish 1 tablespoon half-and-half
16 slices (12 to 16 ounces) smoked salmon
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips

Combine cream cheese, horseradish, minced dill and half-and-half in small bowl. Beat until light and creamy.
Spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture over each salmon slice. Roll up jelly-roll fashion. Slice each roll in half crosswise.

Arrange salmon rolls, cut sides down, on serving dish to resemble roses. Garnish each "rose" by tucking 1 pepper strip and 1 dill sprig in center.

Another idea - Cucumbers sliced & stuffed with a cream cheese/herb mixture. If any one is interested in the recipe, wave.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #35
Executive Chef

??? Is that a good thing, elfie.

Mish
Old 09-15-2005, 01:53 PM   #36
Executive Chef

so who's having the appetizer party and when should we all show up??
Old 09-16-2005, 04:32 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
so who's having the appetizer party and when should we all show up??
luv's place, sometime this week, but you're only allowed in if you show up with cheesesticks and a good marinara. i'm craving cheesesticks!
Old 09-25-2005, 11:45 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Robo........I have never tried an antipasta spread nor has anyone I know ever had one at their party. I've seen cooks make them on foodnetwork and they look wonderful. However, they look like they could be quite expensive to put together.
they're great, sizz; i make miniature little antipasto plates for myself a lot. just some different meats and cheeses and olives and stuff on mine.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

I love Pumpernickel bread dip - it is a huge hit every time I make it :)

16 oz sour cream
0,5 pkg of leek soup- knorr
box of frozem spinach- place it on a warm skillet ,set on midium high and mix until defrosted
1 round loaf of pumpernickel
1 cup walnuts , chopped

In a bowl mix sour cream with leek soup powder and spinach, season with salt and pepper and chill it .
Hollow out the center of the bread making a bowl out of it. PLace chilled mixture in the center of the bread. Use leftovers of the bread to dip in the mixture.

Delicious!!!
Old 09-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula
I love Pumpernickel bread dip - it is a huge hit every time I make it :)

16 oz sour cream
0,5 pkg of leek soup- knorr
box of frozem spinach- place it on a warm skillet ,set on midium high and mix until defrosted
1 round loaf of pumpernickel
1 cup walnuts , chopped

In a bowl mix sour cream with leek soup powder and spinach, season with salt and pepper and chill it .
Hollow out the center of the bread making a bowl out of it. PLace chilled mixture in the center of the bread. Use leftovers of the bread to dip in the mixture.

Delicious!!!
This looks DEEEE-LISH, Paula! Didn't know Knorr made Leek Soup. I'll have to ty that in a dip. Like pumpernickel too. Saving this for the next get-together. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Tags
None