"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Dancer in the kitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 130
Red face Acidity in Red Sauce

Hey Guys!

I've heard of putting butter in spaghetti & marinara sauce to help ease the acidity. Which I've tried, but my husband still gets heartburn now & then. It doesn't bother me, so it's hard for me to gage (sp?).
Any other suggestions?

__________________

__________________
Dancer in the kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,482
I've been known to add hersey's syrup to tomato sauces and chilis and when I do, it seems less heartburn is felt but don't know if it is true or just my imagination.
__________________

__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Sous Chef
 
PytnPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 801
I started getting heartburn with red sauce a couple years ago. I love red sauce and have tried everything to lesson the burn. The only thing that has worked so far has been Zantac!
__________________
PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Dancer in the kitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 130
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
I've been known to add hersey's syrup to tomato sauces and chilis and when I do, it seems less heartburn is felt but don't know if it is true or just my imagination.
Interesting. It doesn't change the taste? I don't know that I'd be brave enough to try it. My husband's tastebuds are so acute. He doesn't like cumin & a recipe called for it. I added maybe an 1/8 of a teaspoon in chili. He said, "I like it, but there's just a hint of something I don't like." Go figure.
__________________
Dancer in the kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
If you're happy with the taste of the sauce, don't treat it, treat the heartburn.

If the sauce tastes too acidic, add a very small amount of baking soda (start with 1/8 teaspoon) to the sauce on the stove. It will foam up a little. Stir it in and re-taste it.

Some folks add sugar but I don't care for the taste difference.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Dancer in the kitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 130
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
If you're happy with the taste of the sauce, don't treat it, treat the heartburn.

If the sauce tastes too acidic, add a very small amount of baking soda (start with 1/8 teaspoon) to the sauce on the stove. It will foam up a little. Stir it in and re-taste it.

Some folks add sugar but I don't care for the taste difference.
I've done that too. And it DOES foam up! Makes me feel like I'm putting together some science experiment. My DH usually has milk with any dinners that have a red sauce & that seems to tone down the heartburn.

Thanks for the advice! I'll just tell him to prepare himself & take a pill before dinner.
__________________
Dancer in the kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
DH and I have milk with almost all our meals.

Putting butter in the pasta sauce will only make your hubby's heartburn worse.
If you're using meat in your sauce, don't cook the meat to hard, as the longer it cooks, the more grease it soaks up. Cook it just until all the pink is gone, then drain it in a colander, mashing the meat with a spoon.

I also suggest your husband see a doctor for the heartburn. There are new medications that can eliminate that problem. My doctor prescribed Nexium, and for once in my life, I can even eat fresh fruit without pain.
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Dancer in the kitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 130
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
DH and I have milk with almost all our meals.

Putting butter in the pasta sauce will only make your hubby's heartburn worse.
If you're using meat in your sauce, don't cook the meat to hard, as the longer it cooks, the more grease it soaks up. Cook it just until all the pink is gone, then drain it in a colander, mashing the meat with a spoon.

I also suggest your husband see a doctor for the heartburn. There are new medications that can eliminate that problem. My doctor prescribed Nexium, and for once in my life, I can even eat fresh fruit without pain.
Other than cashews & cajun spices, nothing else really affects him. But, since I experiement with different dishes, I'll keep an eye on what might be causing his discomfort & if it goes beyond those foods, we'll definitely look into it.

Thanks!
__________________
Dancer in the kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer in the kitchen
I've done that too. And it DOES foam up! Makes me feel like I'm putting together some science experiment. My DH usually has milk with any dinners that have a red sauce & that seems to tone down the heartburn.

Thanks for the advice! I'll just tell him to prepare himself & take a pill before dinner.
Didn't the baking soda work for you?

I take Prilosec and that works for me.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Dancer in the kitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 130
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Didn't the baking soda work for you?

I take Prilosec and that works for me.
It may have. I don't remember my DH complaining afterwards, but then he usually doesn't, unless it's really bad.

He doesn't take any kind of preventative--usually a Rolaids if he feels the heartburn coming on.
__________________

__________________
Dancer in the kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.