Balsamic Syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just had some on cantaloupe and honeydew. I want to try it on cream cheese and crackers.

I have the feeling the small bowl I am experimenting with will not be enough lol. I'm not mean enough to ask my other half to reduce some on the stovetop while I am gone...

What a great idea jackiemax... I usually buy a huge bottle of balsamic from Sam's and reduce it to syrup like consistency... Next time I need it i'm going to try your method... Thankx so much... ;):)

I find that reducing balsamic is much better, taste-wise, than merely "thickening" it. It intensifies the flavor (not the vinegary taste), brings out the sweetness. It's great drizzled over pureed borscht, aong with a dollop of sour cream.

hiya. i am a bit confused as to what you are saying? this method does reduce it, by evaporation, just as heat does. only without the heat. no yuck fumes and smell in your kitchen. plus, it is more gentle on the vinegar than a heat from a stove would be.
when you use some, just top it off with more from the bottle. that too will thicken, with a couple of days time. it is always on hand.

if the balsamic was properly aged..... a great balsamic is already a rather dense item & reduction often makes that type of complimentary food-item too pungent.
right-o.
if i could afford the two hundred dollar plus "properly aged" stuff, i would not be doing this!
i am more like in the 12-20 dollar a bottle range. this works well for me. i have tried it with the really cheap stuff, the 3-5 dollar ones, and of course you get out of food what you put into food, so that batch, as well as the bottle i started off with, got tossed.

jackimax: someone on the thread had mentioned thickening it by adding a thickener and not by reduction. that's all.

upon this thread, i bought a bottle of balsamic vinegar de modena with the intent of making a syrup.

hey, i finally have a use for the side burner on my grill.

thanks for the idea and the warning, your highness. :chef:(princess fiona, the op.)

upon this thread, i bought a bottle of balsamic vinegar de modena with the intent of making a syrup.

hey, i finally have a use for the side burner on my grill.

thanks for the idea and the warning, your highness. :chef:(princess fiona, the op.)

Just don't blame me when you run out of things to put it on.:)

It has become my favorite low cal topping for most everything!

Oh! I have some salmon filets in the freezer!!!

Back
Top Bottom