Barbecue Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I am looking for a commercial BBQ sauce that isn't terribly sweet. Most I've bought are so sugar-y that I could hardly stand it, and my husband is a borderline diabetic, so forget this. Anyone have a recommendation?

I don't care for sweet sauces either. My favorite is Bullseye Original. There are several Weber sauces that aren't overly sweet as well. Look at the Original, Hickory Smoke and Spicy versions.

I don't care for sweet sauces either. My favorite is Bullseye Original. There are several Weber sauces that aren't overly sweet as well. Look at the Original, Hickory Smoke and Spicy versions.

I like Bullseye Original as well.

My absolute favorite bottled BBQ sauce is Bone Suckin' Sauce. Currently available in my area at Whole Foods. It's been at other stores, but this in the only one I can find locally at present. Put it on your shopping list. It's a little pricey/ Approx $8 -16 oz jar.

It's a little sweet, not too much, less sweet than Sweet Baby Rays.
Comes in Hot, Original and several other variations. I can't seem to get beyond the Original. If I want something a little hotter, I just mix a little Tabasco or Tiger sauce with it in a small bowl.

All natural ingredients, no preservatives no msg:

Tomato paste, Apple cider vinegar, Honey, Molasses , Mustard, Horseradish, Lemon juice, Onions, Garlic, Peppers, Natural hickory smoke flavor, Spices, Salt, and Xanthun Gum ( natural thickener)

Serving size = 2 Tbsp
40 calories
sodium 110 g
sugars 8 g
Carbs 10 g

Last edited:
Bullseye original is coming out with High Fructose Corn Syrup in it. Check labels carefully.

We like this, not sweet.. and for 3 btls deliverd to your front door fo like 15 bux.. hard to beat..

note, get all three Original..

this is very old school Kansas City sauce.. hard to describe exactly..

I also know a quite Sour sauce recipe called Florida Sauce that I could share ..it comes from a .50.s cook book

Eric, Austin Tx.

I don't have a commercial BBQ sauce recommendation, but I'm with you on not liking anything overly sweet. I make my own sauce using the recipe below, which I just store in the fridge in a ketchup-type squeeze bottle.

As is, the recipe makes a nicely tart sauce, and not too sweet, in my opinion. Plus by making it yourself, you have complete control over the sugar. It will keep for 6-8 weeks in the fridge, and you can easily halve or quarter the recipe if need be.

Don't worry if you don't have some of the more exotic ingredients, like tamarind, for example. Just skip it. It will still be better than any store-bought sauce.

KC Classic BBQ Sauce

Yields 6 cups

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1/2 cup yellow ballpark-style mustard
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 4 medium cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
  • 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
Preparation:

1. In a small bowl, mix the chili powder, black pepper, and salt. In a large bowl, mix the ketchup, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, lemon juice, steak sauce, molasses, honey, hot sauce, and brown sugar. Mix them, but you don't have to mix thoroughly.
  2. Over medium heat, warm the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and saute until limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Crush the garlic, add it, and cook for another minute. Add the dry spices and stir for about 2 minutes to extract their oil-soluble flavors. Add the wet ingredients. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes with the lid off to thicken it a bit.
  3. Taste and adjust. Add more of anything that you want a little bit at a time. It may taste a bit vinegary at first, but that will be less obvious when you use it. Strain it if you don't want the chunks of onion and garlic, and refrigerate. The sauce is better after it sits for a few days.

Last edited:
KC Classic BBQ Sauce

Yields 6 cups

Ingredients:

• 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
Preparation:

1. In a small bowl, mix the chili powder, black pepper, and salt. In a large bowl, mix the ketchup, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, lemon juice, steak sauce, molasses, honey, hot sauce, and brown sugar. Mix them, but you don't have to mix thoroughly.
  2. Over medium heat, warm the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and saute until limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Crush the garlic, add it, and cook for another minute. Add the dry spices and stir for about 2 minutes to extract their oil-soluble flavors. Add the wet ingredients. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes with the lid off to thicken it a bit.
  3. Taste and adjust. Add more of anything that you want a little bit at a time. It may taste a bit vinegary at first, but that will be less obvious when you use it. Strain it if you don't want the chunks of onion and garlic, and refrigerate. The sauce is better after it sits for a few days.
Steve, that sounds good. I have copied and pasted it.

Steak sauce? It's not in the ingredient list.

Steve, that sounds good. I have copied and pasted it.

Steak sauce? It's not in the ingredient list.
Replace "steak sauce" with soy sauce. It was in the original recipe. I've since modified it several times. And since I don't own a bottle of steak sauce these days, I use a combination of Worcestershire and soy sauce now.

Eric in Austin, If you see this, please post your 50's Florida recipe. Don't know what Fl style sauce is. It sounds interesting.

Thanks Steve for sharing your KC style sauce too. How is it different than the one you tasted and raved about when you went on vacation earlier this summer?

Thanks Steve for sharing your KC style sauce too. How is it different than the one you tasted and raved about when you went on vacation earlier this summer?
It's pretty close, flavorwise, but the one I had in KC had more of a paprika flavor that I was never able to completely duplicate - even after adding a ton of paprika. And I think this recipe is also a little sweeter, though it's far from what I would call sweet. I like it, though.

Last edited:
Replace "steak sauce" with soy sauce. It was in the original recipe. I've since modified it several times. And since I don't own a bottle of steak sauce these days, I use a combination of Worcestershire and soy sauce now.
Oh that makes sense. I was surprised that you would have steak sauce in a recipe.

Claire,
I love Woody's bbq sauce, no sweetness to it at all. slight smoke taste, some tomato I believe but I love it over a hot dog or hamburger. I adore sweet bbq sauce the sweeter the better but diabetes tells me NO so I've switched to Woody's and really enjoy it. Let me know If you'd like some just PM me and I'll see what I can do.
kades

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe Steve :)

I don't have a commercial BBQ sauce recommendation, but I'm with you on not liking anything overly sweet. I make my own sauce using the recipe below, which I just store in the fridge in a ketchup-type squeeze bottle.

As is, the recipe makes a nicely tart sauce, and not too sweet, in my opinion. Plus by making it yourself, you have complete control over the sugar. It will keep for 6-8 weeks in the fridge, and you can easily halve or quarter the recipe if need be.

Don't worry if you don't have some of the more exotic ingredients, like tamarind, for example. Just skip it. It will still be better than any store-bought sauce.

KC Classic BBQ Sauce

Yields 6 cups

Ingredients:

• 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
Preparation:

Back
Top Bottom