"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
Executive Chef

BBQ Sauce

Here's the Rib BBQ sauce. This is a very good vegetable-y type bbq sauce which uses lemon juice instead of the standard vinegar.

Cook up:
2 and 1/2 cups of chopped onions
2 and 3/4ths cup of tomato sauce
2/3 cup of vegetable oil
1 and 1/4 cup of water
You want the onions completely cooked (DH does). This may take a half an hour or so.

Then take a hand blender and blend it smooth and add:
2/3 cup of brown sugar (I use white sugar and add some molasses)
3/4 cup of lemon juice
7 and 3/4 Tablespoons of Worcestershire
5 and 1/4 T yellow mustard
1 and 3/4 T salt
3/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper

Bring it all to a boil and lose enough liquid to make it the consistency you like. Then I put it in pint jars in the refrigerator.

Some added cayenne is good in this too, to fit your own tastes.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Here's the Rib BBQ sauce. This is a very good vegetable-y type bbq sauce which uses lemon juice instead of the standard vinegar.

Cook up:
2 and 1/2 cups of chopped onions
2 and 3/4ths cup of tomato sauce
2/3 cup of vegetable oil
1 and 1/4 cup of water
You want the onions completely cooked (DH does). This may take a half an hour or so.

Then take a hand blender and blend it smooth and add:
2/3 cup of brown sugar (I use white sugar and add some molasses)
3/4 cup of lemon juice
7 and 3/4 Tablespoons of Worcestershire
5 and 1/4 T yellow mustard
1 and 3/4 T salt
3/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper

Bring it all to a boil and lose enough liquid to make it the consistency you like. Then I put it in pint jars in the refrigerator.

Some added cayenne is good in this too, to fit your own tastes.
Do you add 2/3 cup of sugar and then add molasses? How much molasses do you add to the sugar? And, just curious, why don’t you just use brown sugar (which I’ve always understood to be a white sugar/molasses blend anyway)? Does the molasses add something that the brown sugar is missing?

Old 12-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I just add the sugar, then open the molasses (you know this is always messy), and put a dollop in there, about a tablespoon. I haven't bought brown sugar in 20 years. That's just what I'm used to doing.

Is it better? I have no idea. If there was a scale of people that use the average amount of sugar per year, the most being 10 and the least being 1, our family would probably be a 1 or 2.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
Master Chef

Thank you, blissful. This does sound very good!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Do you add 2/3 cup of sugar and then add molasses? How much molasses do you add to the sugar? And, just curious, why don’t you just use brown sugar (which I’ve always understood to be a white sugar/molasses blend anyway)? Does the molasses add something that the brown sugar is missing?
I used to have a recipe for a fairly thin BBQ sauce that used 4 tb of molasses, but no sugar at all. It was very good on some things, particularly on steak, believe it or not, but not as a general use sauce for pork.

I'm not a big fan of sweet BBQ, so when I see that much sugar, I just scroll on by.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

Here is a barbecue sauce I developed in the Amoretti Test Kitchen a few years ago that everyone just loved:

Pomegranate Balsamic Barbecue Sauce
Ingredients:

1 cup pomegranate balsamic vinegar
1½ tsp pomegranate molasses
3 Tbs Agave Nectar
2 Tbs light tasting olive oil
12oz bottle of Guinness Stout
6oz tomato paste
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp Frank's Hot Sauce
1½ tsp whole grain mustard
¼ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup minced onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp grated ginger
½ tsp salt

Instructions:

In a medium sauce pan, sauté the onions in the olive oil until softened, but not browned. Add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30 to 45 seconds. Add the tomato paste and heat through, breaking it up as you stir, to cook out the raw tomato taste.

Once the tomato paste has heated through, add the Guinness Stout and pomegranate balsamic vinegar and bring the sauce to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer and add the agave nectar, pomegranate molasses, Frank’s hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and the whole grain mustard.

Add the brown sugar and stir until it is completely dissolved, then stir in the grated ginger and the salt. Allow the sauce to simmer for anywhere from 2 to 5 hours, until the sauce is rich and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon This sauce will keep for 1 week tightly covered in the refrigerator, or for 3 months in the freezer.

Tags
bbq, lemon juice, onions, recipe, sauce, tomatoes

BBQ Sauce Here's the Rib BBQ sauce. This is a very good vegetable-y type bbq sauce which uses lemon juice instead of the standard vinegar. Cook up: 2 and 1/2 cups of chopped onions 2 and 3/4ths cup of tomato sauce 2/3 cup of vegetable oil 1 and 1/4 cup of water You want the onions completely cooked (DH does). This may take a half an hour or so. Then take a hand blender and blend it smooth and add: 2/3 cup of brown sugar (I use white sugar and add some molasses) 3/4 cup of lemon juice 7 and 3/4 Tablespoons of Worcestershire 5 and 1/4 T yellow mustard 1 and 3/4 T salt 3/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper Bring it all to a boil and lose enough liquid to make it the consistency you like. Then I put it in pint jars in the refrigerator. Some added cayenne is good in this too, to fit your own tastes. 3 stars 1 reviews