Bechamel Based Recipes! (cream sauce)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
Bechamel is a mother sauce which means (to my understanding) that many sauces are based on that recipe.

I've only recently learned how to make a decent roux and bechamel by making sausage gravy. I think it would be great to have more recipes to practice with but sauce recipes are not usually categorized according to their mother sauce.

I think it would be great to have a thread that lists lots of different sauces that are made with Bechamel. I would eventually like to see a thread like this for all the mother sauces. Heck, we could even sticky the threads if they get useful.

This would give us new chefs a way to practice our sauces with different recipes and get good at the Bechamel before moving on to master another mother sauce.

My contribution for now will be my sausage gravy recipe. It is similar to one that I found on these very boards.

Sausage Gravy

Ingredients 1 lb sage-flavored bulk pork sausage (Jimmy Dean Sage style)
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 qt milk
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1 Pillsbury Grand Biscuits (bake according to directions on can, cool & slice)
1 tsp Red pepper flakes

Instructions
Crumble sausage into a large saucepan; cook over medium-low heat
Add onion, cook & stir until transparent
Drain, discarding all but 2 Tbsp of drippings (add more oil or butter if needed)
Stir in flour, cook over medium-low heat about 6 minutes or until mixture bubbles and turns light brown
Stir in milk, add seasonings
Cook, stirring until thickened

Once you make a bechamel, you can add some shredded cheese and it becomes a mornay. If you substitute stock for the milk in a bechamel, you have a veloute.

This isn't "new", but I love to add a LOT of grated gruyere or jarlsberg/swiss cheese to my sauce & pour it over poached eggs atop of a bed of cooked spinach. Sprinkle with a little more grated cheese &/or dry seasoned bread crumbs, run under the broiler for a minute, & a nice luncheon dish or supper is served.

Andy M. said:
Once you make a bechamel, you can add some shredded cheese and it becomes a mornay. If you substitute stock for the milk in a bechamel, you have a veloute.

That would be Gruyere cheese to make Mornay. And there is a thread in the Sauce category for small, or derivative sauces. Certainly, we could open threads for small sauces from the 5 mother sauces, and also for other mother-like sauces.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom