"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 03-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Onion Piquet
Milk
Flour
Clarified butter
Salt & White pepper
nutmeg

I saw something about onion, bay leaf and clove, but I couldn't find detail.
The onion 'piquet' (or 'piqué') is an onion with a thin cut in it in which a bay leaf is inserted and then cloves studded into the surface.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #22
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
The onion 'piquet' (or 'piqué') is an onion with a thin cut in it in which a bay leaf is inserted and then cloves studded into the surface.
Ah, so said recipe would require the onion piquet to be added once all ingredients were added to simmer for flavor, yes?

Also, how long and in what manner can bechamel be stored?

Old 03-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Ah, so said recipe would require the onion piquet to be added once all ingredients were added to simmer for flavor, yes?
Got it in one BigDog.

Quote:
Also, how long and in what manner can bechamel be stored?
If not using it straigtaway I would cool it down in an icebath (a sauce with a lot of body such as bechamel will retain heat for a long time, it is not sufficient to cool it down in the fridge) stirring it from time to time until it reached a low enough temperature to be transferred to the fridge (tightly covered of course)

Additionally you might want to cut out a piece of waxed paper the same shape as the storage container to place right on top of the bechamel sauce as it prevent a skin from forming on it (or you could use plastic wrap and place it on the surface of the sauce as well as brining it over the sides, this will do the same thing).

As for how it can be stored I'm unsure. I go by the school of thought that if it looks good (no mould, discolouration, splitting), smells good and a small amount tastes good then its allright.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #24
Master Chef

Bechamel Sauce and White Sauce are the same thing. When I first got interested in cooking, that's the first thing my Grandma Snarr taught me to make. She told me that once I learned to make a good white sauce, I could make all kinds of sauces and gravies. We didn't know the word "roux" up here in Illinois back then, but the method is generally the same.
For a basic white sauce, I use 2 tbls butter to 2 tbls flour to 2 cups liquid.
Pour milk into measuring cup and keep handy. Melt the butter in the sauce-pan over med heat, stir in the flour, and remove from heat. Slowly stir in milk, a little at a time, working out any lumps until mixture is smooth. Put back on med/high heat, and let cook, stirring a bit, until mixture starts to bubble. Turn heat back to medium, and let cook until thickened, stirring constantly. If you want to add cheese, add when mixture starts bubbling. This is a good time to add any seasonings, too.
You can adapt this recipe to gravies (use the meat fat in the pan, and add water or broth), other sauces (imagine using chicken broth instead of milk), any dish that calls for a roux (just bigger amounts; 1 cup oil to one cup flour, browned, to 2 quarts broth), or as a thickening agent for soup. You can saute onions, leeks, garlic, whatever, in the butter, then add the flour and proceed for there.
You can render out bacon, and use the bacon grease in place of the butter. This is how I start out my potato soup. I saute my sliced leeks and sometimes a bit of grated carrot in the bacon grease before I add the flour.

When I find a recipe with a French style sauce, that uses cream or lots of butter as a thickening agent, I convert it to my flour-based sauce. I like the taste better, and it saves a lot of calories.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
As for how it can be stored I'm unsure. I go by the school of thought that if it looks good (no mould, discolouration, splitting), smells good and a small amount tastes good then its allright.
Anyone else on storing length. The wax paper makes sense, to prevent the skin stuff.

The recipe I have uses a gallon of milk, so the recipe I have makes a ton. My Cannelloni recipe only requires about a cup. So, there will be a ton of leftover sauce!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
The recipe I have uses a gallon of milk, so the recipe I have makes a ton. My Cannelloni recipe only requires about a cup. So, there will be a ton of leftover sauce!
Why not scale the recipe down?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Why not scale the recipe down?
Didn't think of that. Should be easy enough. Just have to remember how to convert ounces to tbsp/tsp.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:02 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Dog:

1 or 2 TB (depending on how thick you want it) each of fat and flour will thicken a cup of milk. You can take it from there.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:23 PM   #29
Senior Cook

definately cool milk...
also it will get thicker after it cools... do not overshoot your objective.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #30
Executive Chef

it is supposed to be a bland sauce...white sauce...because it is the basis for so much else ... a cheese sauce, a savory sauce, etc... the is the mother suace that so many recipes substitute cream of something soup for...because it is the basis of those soups too.

1tbsp butter melted, slightly bubbling
1tbspn flour, wisked in and cooked while wisking till smooth (about 1 minute or a bit more)
1 cup whole milk slowly wisked in and brought to a simmer at which point it will thicken ... cook for a few minutes while wisking to keep it smooth.

now you can flavor with herbs, cheese, savories like mushrooms, etc.

nutmeg is pretty normal for a northern Italian Lasagne.

Tags
beshamel sause