"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Thanks for posting this.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Master Chef

I hate nutmeg. So what I make then probably is not true bechamel sauce.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
Master Chef

A good Bechemel is the foundation for so many good things. Many of our parents were making Bechemel, or something very similar, not knowing that they were making one of the classic mother sauces. My own mother simply called it white sauce. She used it for making creamed peas, or creamed chip beef, and things like that.

To me, the roux is the most important part of making a proper flour-based sauce, be it bechemel, or Veloute, or Espaniole, etc. If the roux is made properly, you almost can't mess up the sauce that is made with it.

I also use a heavy Bechemel to bind creamy soups. A little added to a great pot of split pea soup doesn't alter the flavor, except to add a little buttery flavor (and that's a good thing). It does keep the solids from settling in the soup. And the soup becomes creamier in texture as well. It also works with lentel, and bean soups. I've even known people to add it to chile (not me. I promise.)

And we all know that bechemel can be used to make cheese sauces, and gravies. It's just such a versatile sauce.

But you have to get the roux right. And you have to know how to cook it to the proper color for the sauce you are making, as the roux has completely different flavor as it browns to different shades.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
Head Chef

It makes me sad that cans of "cream of grossness" soup ever became the go-to substitution for making a sauce. =P

Hard to believe that just a few years ago I was intimidated by official terms like bechamel ~ when truth is I'd been making them forever, just without calling them that. I'd see a recipe which required bechamel and think that it was somehow out of my league... LOL

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
It makes me sad that cans of "cream of grossness" soup ever became the go-to substitution for making a sauce. =P

Hard to believe that just a few years ago I was intimidated by official terms like bechamel ~ when truth is I'd been making them forever, just without calling them that. I'd see a recipe which required bechamel and think that it was somehow out of my league... LOL
Home made cream of mushroom soup is sooooo good, as is home made potato soup, both of which start with a silky Bechemel. Add a bit of dice rutabaga, and a bit of chopped bacon to your potato soup for an amazing flavor addition. Use a Chicken Veloute (blonde roux thinned with chicken stock) to make cream of chicken soup. Season with a llittle thyme and sage, with white pepper, and celery. A little saffron might be great with this soup as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe, sauce

Bechamel Sauce recipe Some people like to add some grated nutmeg/salt & pepper/onion/clove/or a bit of bouquet garni to their sauce. The french recipes I have seen contain the salt, pepper & nutmeg to taste. Here is a basic recipe I use for bechamel sauce with the proper ratio of flour/butter/milk content. BECHAMEL SAUCE 5 Tablespoons Butter 5 Tablespoons Flour 1 Quart Milk In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the Butter. Add the Flour, whisking until the butter is completely absorbed. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat. Gradually pour in the Milk, whisking constantly. Return to medium heat, return to a boiL, whisking constantly. Lower heat and continue cooking for 8 - 10 minutes, whisking. If desired, it is at this point that some people like to add a dash of salt, pepper & nutmeg to taste. The sauce is done and ready to use. Also, If desired, an onion, peeled, halved and studded w/a whole clove can be placed in the sauce. Simmer & Stir for an additional 15 minutes, then strain the sauce. Store this sauce in an air-tight container in the refrigerator to prevent a skin from forming. smile :smile: 3 stars 1 reviews