Bechamel to soup base?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I dislike using canned soups for casseroles. I've seen many recipes that looking interesting until I read "add a can cream of mushroom/chicken/celery/etc. soup".

Question:
Can I make a basic bechamel but use 1/2 cream and 1/2 stock?

I often make my own stocks and would prefer to use them. I realize that using 'stock' will perhaps reduce the thickness of the liquids in the casserole but I think I can get around that somehow, maybe just reduce ahead of time.

Yes you can do that. It won't taste like the canned stuff but that's not a bad thing. In addition to the cream and broth, you should also plan to add seasonings (and mushrooms, chicken, celery, etc.) beyond what's in the recipe to approximate the seasonings in the can.

I usually do just plainly pass over recipes that use them but every once in a while there might be something in the recipe - other than the can - that makes me interested in it.

What about making a big pot of homemade cream of mushroom soup, without all the chemicals added to the canned stuff, and freezing it to have on hand when a recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup?

If you are into home canning, you could do that, too, I guess.

Just a thought.

CD

What about making a big pot of homemade cream of mushroom soup, without all the chemicals added to the canned stuff, and freezing it to have on hand when a recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup?

If you are into home canning, you could do that, too, I guess.

Just a thought.

CD

AlwYs good to have soup in the freezer if you have to remember the canned stuff is concentrated.

:LOL: have to remember to take it out - wish I was more disciplined to fore thought, if I was it would be easy to whip up fresh! I truly wish I had a pressure canner! My freezers are full to capacity.

But that is an excellent idea, the most recent recipe I had been looking at is huge, makes 3 X 2 quart casseroles. It calls for 2 cans of soup and 1 cup of water. Divided by 3 would still be quite thick but certainly attainable.

All this for nothing as this morning I can't find the recipe... Welcome to my world. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom