Beginner with sauces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will

Cook
Since there is no "Beginner" thead, I decided to ask here :) Im new to cooking and want to experiment with making my own sauces (or marinades). Changing the taste wouldnt be the hard part, but what would I use for a base? Vinegar seems to be to hard, and Im not a fan of tomato sauce. What are the most of the sauces out there based out of? Sorry for the barage of questions.

Does anyone have any suggestions on beginner sites for guys like me :) Just a lonely guy looking to make it haha

Will

Will;
This is a poser. There are literally THOUSANDS of sauces out there and lots of different ingredients for sauce bases. Stocks, broths, mayonnaise, butter, cream, tomato sauce are just among a few items that can be used as a sauce base. I would recommend getting a copy of "The Joy Of Cooking". This is a good cookbook for anyone who wants to learn a broad range of cooking techniques. In addition, post on the board what you are trying to accomplish and we can give you a bit of guidance.

well you should master doing vinaigrettes, since they can be a sauce, a dressing, a marinade, a baste, etc. the basic thing to remember is that there is 2-3 parts oil or fat, to 1 part vinegar, or acid. you can make any type of vinaigrette as well: asian, southwestern, latin, mediterranean, classic american, etc. you don't have to cook a vinaigrette so you won't have to worry about burning it, or overcooking it, etc, until you start incorporating reduced liquids, or cooked fat (i.e. bacon).

Hi will,

Welcome to DiscussCooking. Are you talking about a barbeque sauce? Or just sauces in general. It sounds like you want a bbq sauce. But I'll wait for your answer to know for sure.

Well, it doesnt have to be BBQ exactly. Right now, im just looking for sauces in general. Some different ways to make them, how to cook ingredients (or what to cook) to make different bases. My focus is hot sauces because thats what I use the most of. But I eventually want to make dips, marinades, and other stuff like that.

Im not a good cook and am limited on my imagination because I dont even know where to begin :S Ive tried resources on the web, but I have not found anything for a true "dummy". For instance, I dont even know what Stock is.

If there are any good places on the web I can visit, Im open to any and all suggestions.

Will;
With your permission, I will email you something that will help you. Either let me know it's ok here or PM me or email me.

Yes Daisy

I thank you for this. This really helps in what I am looking for. Much appreciation !!

Will

Back
Top Bottom