"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 12-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Bitter tomato sauce

I make tomato sauce from Roma tomatoes that I grow in my garden. I add celery, carrots, peppers (hot and not), onions, and parsley that I also grow in my garden. I don't peel the tomatoes, which I understand can make the sauce bitter. I blend everything together in a blender and then cook it until it's quite thick. What can I add to this sauce to remove the bitterness? I don't want to peel the tomatoes. I'd like to find another way to remove the bitterness.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Head Chef

Remove the seeds, that is what could be causing the bitterness. Simply quarter the tomatoes and remove them with your hands if you want to keep the skins on.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

What type (material) is the pan you are using?

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know if you have ever tried roasting your tomatoes or not but I find I get a really good taste this way. On a cookie sheet, put your tomatoes that you have cut in half the long way, drizzle with a good evoo,salt pepper and squashed garlic cloves...That is all I do I then use a blender stick and make sauce and put it in the freezer, When I want pasta sauce I then add, my herbs,sauteed onions,we never add any peppers,but do use a pot roast or stew meat, and dried mushrooms soaked and the mushroom broth strained through an old cloth to catch sand if there is any.Use the broth it will give your sauce a dark brown color and the taste is special.Hope this helps you a little.
kadesma
Old 12-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Bitter Tomato Sauce

I can't remove seeds, I can't roast the tomatoes - the sauce is already done. I've got the sauce in a deep stock pot that's made out of stainless steel. Is there any way to get the bitterness out of the sauce that I've already made?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Everymom

Hmmm, can't remove it, but you might be able to disguise it. Try adding a 1/4 cup of brown sugar. I'd roast some garlic myself and add the resulting paste to the sauce. And maybe a smidge of cooking wine or brandy? Might smooth things out for you.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Head Chef

I second the addition of brown sugar.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Bitter tomato sauce

Ok, brown sugar sounds interesting. Just curious - why brown sugar instead of white? And what kind of proportions would you use?
Old 12-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
Head Chef

we don't know how bitter your sauce is. you just may need to add some and taste it.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Done. I had about 6 quarts of sauce. I added 1/2 of brown sugar at a time, giving it about 15 minutes to completely blend in between additions. I also added Merlot 1/2 cup at a time. I ended up using 2 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup of Merlot. It worked! The sauce still has a bite, but no longer has the bitterness. Thanks for your help!

Tags
None