Black Pepper Gravy
Black Pepper Gravy is a derivative of Bechamel sauce.
4 to 6 tablespoons shortening (bacon drippings or vegetable oil)
6 tablespoons flour
3 1/2 to 4 cups milk
2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
salt to taste
1. Add shortening to hot saucepan and heat over medium high heat until almost smoking.
2. Add flour, stirring until blended and bubbling do not allow to brown
3. Gradually add milk; continue stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbly.
4. If too thick, add a little more milk. Taste and add salt.
5. Serve over biscuits, chicken fried steaks, mashed potatoes.
"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836