"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 09-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Alix, yes she is a member, but probably has not logged on in over a year so I am pretty safe unless someone blabs

I use regular hot Italian sausages, crumbled like the beef.

Jeekinz, I am with ya. I do not like sugar in my sauces. This sauce has plenty of sweetness from the carrots and cream anyway.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
Everymom

Thanks GB! Can't IMAGINE anyone blabbing!

I'm going to give this one a go this week I think. I have a ton of tomatoes that I need to use up and I don't want to use them all in salsa.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

One thing that is not listed in the recipe is that I now either skin the tomatoes or I run them through a food mill. Otherwise you end up with little bits of rolled up skin in the sauce. If you are not picky then you wouldn't care, but Iron Chef would slam my knuckles with a cleaver if I served something like that to him
Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #14
Everymom

YOW! That doesn't sound like fun! I think ironchef has a pretty wicked cleaver too!

Thanks for the tip. Do you just blanch them for a minute or two and peel the skins off that way?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #15
Head Chef

Sounds like a must try recipe. Thanks GB
Old 09-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If you are not picky then you wouldn't care, but Iron Chef would slam my knuckles with a cleaver if I served something like that to him
Oh GB I'm hurt.

I wouldn't slam your knuckles with anything. I might just say a wise *** remark like, "Hey, I guess you're going the textural route huh? Do we get served a side of dental floss with this too?"

Nah, seriously I wouldn't. I'm happy and appreciative when other people cook for me since it's so rare anymore.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #17
Master Chef

GB, the recipe sounds wonderful. I'm gonna have to try it.

Little off topic but I need to know: IC, and the rest of you, do you find that since people know you are profficient in the kitchen, that they are afraid to invite you to try their food, as they think they won't measure up? I have that problem. I really don't look down my nose on other people's cooking, and only offer advice if asked. I like other variations other than my own, and find that I can learn something from nearly anyone. I have learned treasures of info from a lady who made the worst pancakes on the planet. But could she ever make an excellent goat stew. Another thing I learned from a different lady was that baking soda can be used to tenderize the meat. But it needs to be completely washed out of the meat before cooking to avoid imparting a nasty flavor. The lady who I refer to didn't wash it off, and indeed, sprinkled it on while grilling the beef. It was terrible tasting, but tender.

And so, I glean from others both what to do, and what not to do.

Oh, and just for the record, I can't remember anything GB has ever posted that was something "not to do". GB, you're one of the valued resources around here.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Bolognese Sauce

2 tablespoons evoo
1 small onion minced
1 carrot minced
1 celery stalk
¼ cup minced bacon
½ lb sausage
½ lb beef
¾ cup dry white wine
6 large tomatoes
1 cup stock
1 cup cream
You call that Bolognese sauce? I don't see no baloney in it!
Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Little off topic but I need to know: IC, and the rest of you, do you find that since people know you are profficient in the kitchen, that they are afraid to invite you to try their food, as they think they won't measure up?
Maybe, but it feels like it's because it's expected of me.

It's always:

"So, are you cooking tonight?"
"What are you going to cook?"
"I don't feel like eating out. Can you cook something?"
"Dinner is at 6:30. Are you coming early to cook?"
Old 09-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #20
Master Chef

Yeh, I know. I even get it at work, especially if there's a pot luck coming up, and at our church as well. It does become expected. I was even chastized for not being the cook one year at our anual church pancake breakfast. I was told that it wasn't to happen again.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacon, beef, bolognese, pork, recipe

Bolognese Sauce Bolognese Sauce 2 tablespoons evoo 1 small onion minced 1 carrot minced 1 celery stalk ¼ cup minced bacon ½ lb sausage ½ lb beef ¾ cup dry white wine 6 large tomatoes 1 cup stock 1 cup cream Saute onion, celery, and bacon with evoo till tender over med heat. Add beef and sausage. Cook till no longer red. Add wine and raise heat a little bit. Cook off most of the liquid. Add tomatoes and stock. Turn heat to low. After about an hour season with salt and pepper. Cook another hour till much of the liquid is gone. Add cream and cook another 15 - 30 minutes. 3 stars 1 reviews