"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 11-28-2004, 12:30 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Bolognese Sauce

Bolognese Sauce

2 tablespoons evoo
1 small onion minced
1 carrot minced
1 celery stalk
¼ cup minced bacon
½ lb sausage
½ lb beef
¾ cup dry white wine
6 large tomatoes
1 cup stock
1 cup cream

Saute onion, celery, and bacon with evoo till tender over med heat.

Add beef and sausage. Cook till no longer red. Add wine and raise heat a little bit. Cook off most of the liquid.

Add tomatoes and stock. Turn heat to low. After about an hour season with salt and pepper. Cook another hour till much of the liquid is gone.

Add cream and cook another 15 - 30 minutes.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:20 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Thanks GB :)

Old 12-02-2004, 11:15 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Looks goog, GB. I use veal and sausage along with shiitakes and porcinis in my version.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

That sounds great too Andy. I am not a fan of mushrooms yet (but I am trying hard to learn to like them), but I love veal. I will have to try adding that next time around.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
Everymom

GB, couple of questions...what are the amounts represented by the A with the thingy over top? And what kind of sausage do you use? Do you crumble the sausage meat or do you dice it up?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Master Chef

Yum!

I'd probably cook the tomatoes with the wine, though. This is one recipe where white wine and tomatoes marry beautifully.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Alix, I am not sure why it came out like that. It did not show up that way originally. Anyway, I have edited it to read the right way.

I always double or even triple this recipe as it freezes very well and my wife would probably shot me in the head if I did not make a ton. I swear if she could divorce me to marry this sauce she would. She has eaten a bowl of just the sauce for dinner before (or course if she finds out I just divulged that fact then she really will divorce me )

Jenny, I will have to try that next time. I will be nervous to mess with such a good thing, but you make a very good point so I think it will be worth the risk.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Everymom

Um...correct me if I'm wrong GB, but didn't she join up here some time ago? Not that I would ever send her a link to this thread or anything. LOL.

Thanks for correcting the amounts. And about the sausage? What kind and do you crumble it or chop it up?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
A with the thingy over top?
The upper character to the left of the number one key is a tilde. Don't ask me how I know that.

GB, I am so glad you don't add sugar. I thought I was the only one not to add sugar to my sauces.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

If I were adding sausage, I'd crumble and saute in a separate pan especially if it tends to be oily then drain and add to the sauce..
kadesma

Tags
bacon, beef, bolognese, pork, recipe

Bolognese Sauce Bolognese Sauce 2 tablespoons evoo 1 small onion minced 1 carrot minced 1 celery stalk ¼ cup minced bacon ½ lb sausage ½ lb beef ¾ cup dry white wine 6 large tomatoes 1 cup stock 1 cup cream Saute onion, celery, and bacon with evoo till tender over med heat. Add beef and sausage. Cook till no longer red. Add wine and raise heat a little bit. Cook off most of the liquid. Add tomatoes and stock. Turn heat to low. After about an hour season with salt and pepper. Cook another hour till much of the liquid is gone. Add cream and cook another 15 - 30 minutes. 3 stars 1 reviews