"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Cook

Brown Butter Cream Sauce...old family recipe

This is a sauce that I grew up eating, passed on generation to generation...and my kids absolutely gobble it up on pasta, and it`s great on potatoes too!

My measurments are approximate, since I have never measured the ingredients, just watched my mom in the kitchen.

Brown about 2tbsp salted butter over med heat. Not just melt, brown. Add about 2 tbsp flour and stir it in, then add half and half cream, about 1.5 cups. Stir continually until thickened into a creamy sauce. If it`s too thick, add some more cream. Add salt to taste.
This is so simple, yet so delicious. When I was a kid, I could have happily had a meal of just the sauce and some bread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Except for browning the butter, it's a Bechamel sauce, one of the five "French "Mother Sauces." This classic white sauce is named after its inventor, Louis XIV's steward, Louis de Béchamel. The king of all sauces. It is the first sauce taught to new students at cooking school.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Cook

Browning the butter makes all the difference, trust me. :)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I've had this same sauce at high end eateries with some fresh sage added, served with gnocchi or butternut stuffed pastas. You're right - it's delicious.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Cook

Interesting idea adding sage, I may have to try that! I've never seen it at a restaurant...neat! I've been eating this for as long as I can remember :)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmom22 View Post
This is a sauce that I grew up eating, passed on generation to generation...and my kids absolutely gobble it up on pasta, and it`s great on potatoes too!

My measurments are approximate, since I have never measured the ingredients, just watched my mom in the kitchen.

Brown about 2tbsp salted butter over med heat. Not just melt, brown. Add about 2 tbsp flour and stir it in, then add half and half cream, about 1.5 cups. Stir continually until thickened into a creamy sauce. If it`s too thick, add some more cream. Add salt to taste.
This is so simple, yet so delicious. When I was a kid, I could have happily had a meal of just the sauce and some bread

simple and it sounds great. on my list.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Except for browning the butter, it's a Bechamel sauce, one of the five "French "Mother Sauces." This classic white sauce is named after its inventor, Louis XIV's steward, Louis de Béchamel. The king of all sauces. It is the first sauce taught to new students at cooking school.
exactly. it's also how you start cheese sauces, alfredo sauces and gravies (without the cream ofcourse)...
Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Executive Chef

yayy for browned butter!! i sometimes make a cream soup out of it by making a larger quantity and adding vegetables such as mushrooms, fresh peas, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, etc. i may dial back on the richness here by using milk instead of half and half, and using some of the vegetable liquid and a few splashes of chardonnay. :)
Old 05-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmom22 View Post

I added this to my list of recipe tidbits, but I have a question. How brown? Medium heat on my stove it pretty hot. I'd hate to end up with a scorched taste.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I like the idea of browning the butter. I do that for other recipes. I have found the darker brown it is, the richer the flavor.

Tags
butter, cream, flour, recipe, salt

Brown Butter Cream Sauce...old family recipe This is a sauce that I grew up eating, passed on generation to generation...and my kids absolutely gobble it up on pasta, and it`s great on potatoes too! My measurments are approximate, since I have never measured the ingredients, just watched my mom in the kitchen. Brown about 2tbsp salted butter over med heat. Not just melt, brown. Add about 2 tbsp flour and stir it in, then add half and half cream, about 1.5 cups. Stir continually until thickened into a creamy sauce. If it`s too thick, add some more cream. Add salt to taste. This is so simple, yet so delicious. When I was a kid, I could have happily had a meal of just the sauce and some bread :chef: 3 stars 1 reviews