Brown Butter Cream Sauce...old family recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahmom22

Cook
This is a sauce that I grew up eating, passed on generation to generation...and my kids absolutely gobble it up on pasta, and it`s great on potatoes too!

My measurments are approximate, since I have never measured the ingredients, just watched my mom in the kitchen.

Brown about 2tbsp salted butter over med heat. Not just melt, brown. Add about 2 tbsp flour and stir it in, then add half and half cream, about 1.5 cups. Stir continually until thickened into a creamy sauce. If it`s too thick, add some more cream. Add salt to taste.
This is so simple, yet so delicious. When I was a kid, I could have happily had a meal of just the sauce and some bread :chef:

Except for browning the butter, it's a Bechamel sauce, one of the five "French "Mother Sauces." [FONT=verdana,arial]This classic white sauce is named after its inventor, Louis XIV's steward, Louis de Béchamel. The king of all sauces. It is the first sauce taught to new students at cooking school.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I've had this same sauce at high end eateries with some fresh sage added, served with gnocchi or butternut stuffed pastas. You're right - it's delicious.

Interesting idea adding sage, I may have to try that! I've never seen it at a restaurant...neat! I've been eating this for as long as I can remember :)

This is a sauce that I grew up eating, passed on generation to generation...and my kids absolutely gobble it up on pasta, and it`s great on potatoes too!

My measurments are approximate, since I have never measured the ingredients, just watched my mom in the kitchen.

Brown about 2tbsp salted butter over med heat. Not just melt, brown. Add about 2 tbsp flour and stir it in, then add half and half cream, about 1.5 cups. Stir continually until thickened into a creamy sauce. If it`s too thick, add some more cream. Add salt to taste.
This is so simple, yet so delicious. When I was a kid, I could have happily had a meal of just the sauce and some bread :chef:

simple and it sounds great. on my list.:chef:

Except for browning the butter, it's a Bechamel sauce, one of the five "French "Mother Sauces." [FONT=verdana,arial]This classic white sauce is named after its inventor, Louis XIV's steward, Louis de Béchamel. The king of all sauces. It is the first sauce taught to new students at cooking school.
[/FONT]

exactly. it's also how you start cheese sauces, alfredo sauces and gravies (without the cream ofcourse)...

yayy for browned butter!! i sometimes make a cream soup out of it by making a larger quantity and adding vegetables such as mushrooms, fresh peas, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, etc. i may dial back on the richness here by using milk instead of half and half, and using some of the vegetable liquid and a few splashes of chardonnay. :)

I added this to my list of recipe tidbits, but I have a question. How brown? Medium heat on my stove it pretty hot. I'd hate to end up with a scorched taste.:ermm:

Last edited:
I like the idea of browning the butter. I do that for other recipes. I have found the darker brown it is, the richer the flavor.

there's a very small window of time between browned butter and scorched butter. watch it carefully--it happens very quickly. true, the darker brown the butter, the more flavorful and nutty the taste. you will probably not burn your butter except through carelessness, not to worry....

Thanks. It just so happens that I have both salted butter and half & half. I'll be trying this soon.

Browning the butter makes all the difference, trust me. :)

If you enjoy the brown butter try it in a frosting. Brown the butter and add 10x sugar to thicken and a few drops of vanilla. The brown butter frosting is great with spicey cookies and cakes.

Old time country comfort food :)

Back
Top Bottom