Can You Overcook Bolognese Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FincaPerlitas

Senior Cook
I'd planned to make a Bologese sauce tomorrow morning, which I usually simmer uncovered for 3+ hours, but am in the mood to cook tonight (it's almost 9pm), and was wondering if there's any reason why I can't make it tonight and cover and cook it all night at a low simmer. It seems to me that the meat would almost desolve (a good thing, I think). I guess the only real concern is whether an 8 or 9 hour simmer might somehow negatively affect the taste of the tomato sauce. I would add a little extra liquid to avoid getting too thick. I can always reduce it in the morning, if necessary.

I don't use crock pots but I guess it wouldn't be much different. Any advice?

You might want to put it in a low oven, so as to avoid any possible scorching on the bottom of the pot.

Great suggestions. Thanks! Actually, while organizing for my prep, I had another thought.

Maybe the best way to do it is to cook everything tonight up to the point of adding the tomatos and simmering (i.e., saute veggies, add and cook the meats, add wine, reduce, add milk, reduce). Then remove from heat, add a little beef stock, cool slightly, and refrigerate until tomorrow. The only thing left to do in the morning will be to add the tomatos and simmer until done.

yea that works just make sure not to cover before its completely cool. Thats when bacteria likes to form

Back
Top Bottom