"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Can You Overcook Bolognese Sauce?

I'd planned to make a Bologese sauce tomorrow morning, which I usually simmer uncovered for 3+ hours, but am in the mood to cook tonight (it's almost 9pm), and was wondering if there's any reason why I can't make it tonight and cover and cook it all night at a low simmer. It seems to me that the meat would almost desolve (a good thing, I think). I guess the only real concern is whether an 8 or 9 hour simmer might somehow negatively affect the taste of the tomato sauce. I would add a little extra liquid to avoid getting too thick. I can always reduce it in the morning, if necessary.

I don't use crock pots but I guess it wouldn't be much different. Any advice?

"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Head Chef

You might want to put it in a low oven, so as to avoid any possible scorching on the bottom of the pot.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
Senior Cook

i'd bring to a boil cover and throw it in the oven over night...probly at 300.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Great suggestions. Thanks! Actually, while organizing for my prep, I had another thought.

Maybe the best way to do it is to cook everything tonight up to the point of adding the tomatos and simmering (i.e., saute veggies, add and cook the meats, add wine, reduce, add milk, reduce). Then remove from heat, add a little beef stock, cool slightly, and refrigerate until tomorrow. The only thing left to do in the morning will be to add the tomatos and simmer until done.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
Old 04-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Senior Cook

yea that works just make sure not to cover before its completely cool. Thats when bacteria likes to form
Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
Senior Cook

It's almost ready for the meats now - ground beef, italian sausage and pancetta. Then I'll do my two reductions (wine and milk), quick cool it in a water bath and refrigerate until morning. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I finished the sauce (11pm EDT). Based on your suggestions, I decided to add the tomatos and put in in the oven at 275F until morning. I'll let you know what I think of it. Thanks!

Tags
None