"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I have tomato paste, JP. I can add it at anytime. Would I need to add more spices to counteract? Of course, it's been on a while now, but for next time.

That is different, UB. That's kinda what I was thinking, to at least spoon out some of the "juice", but I thought it added flavor so have always left it in.
The "less indigestion" has me very interested.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I haven't tried that, Constance. Do you mean mix them both (sauce and pasta) together and let them simmer a while?

I'd like to keep them separate if possible, until serving anyway. This way if I make too much of one or the other I have it as leftover to do something different with, like serve the sauce over scambled eggs or make a sausage sandwich, or have the spaghetti with butter and pepper. mmm

Old 05-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
...drain through a colander...then wash it under running water...

Yikes! Uncle Bob. Sending all the flavor down the drain!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yikes! Uncle Bob. Sending all the flavor down the drain!

Uncle Bob does not equate "grease" with flavor in spaghette sauce...there are so many more things I want to taste...Try it! You'll be surprised at the flavor that remains....

Have Fun!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I have tomato paste, JP. I can add it at anytime. Would I need to add more spices to counteract? Of course, it's been on a while now, but for next time.

That is different, UB. That's kinda what I was thinking, to at least spoon out some of the "juice", but I thought it added flavor so have always left it in.
The "less indigestion" has me very interested.
I think draining off the majority of fat will make a big difference in your thickness as for rinsing meat it's great method if you are worried about fat but you will lose a fair amount of flavor as well, this method works great for pizza topping. If you just strain the fat or add a bit of paste you shouldn't need to add more seasoning. When I make Spaghetti Sauce from a jar or can I always cook off meat and separately saute onions,celery and maybe some mushrooms and bell pepper in some olive oil I always add more garlic, basil etc but have never had to thicken sauce because of the draining fat off meat. At least thats what I believe
Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Cook the meat, remove the fat, simmer covered for 15-20 minutes to combine flavors, remove the lid and simmer until thickened to your liking.

Simmering covered first will help combine flavors as well as remove any acidity from the tomatoes. You really need to remove any fat/grease from the meat, both for consistency and your health/digestion.

When the sauce has been simmering with the lid on, it may look quite liquidy. Don't let this fool you. A few minutes uncovered and it will thicken up almost paste like if you don't pay attention. If it get's too thick, add some water from the can with the tomato residue. Simmer again until you get the consistency you're after.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I simmer mine for at least 2 hours.
You really don't need to do that. 30-45 minutes max will result in a great sauce. If the sauce is still too acidic, look for a better brand of tomato product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Do you mix the meat and the pasta together and let it cook together for a few minutes? It makes a big difference in the finished dish. I usually save a little pasta water, in case a little more liquid is needed after the pasta starts soaking up the sauce.
Best advice so far. ^^^
Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #18
Master Chef

Due to health constraints DW drains the meat first. When I make it I don't drain any of the fat (everyone likes mine better, LOL), but I have to simmer it much longer so it will thicken up (a good 45minutes usually).
Yours looks and sounds good, Fred, just needs that simmer time to thicken up.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

After letting it simmer away I got my usual outcome. This is what I am trying to get rid of, the watery liquid. It's not that the rest of the sauce isn't thick, but I get this watery stuff, which you can see collects in the bottom of the pan. If it was fat or grease, wouldn't it be on top? (although you can see some grease bubbles)
It looks the same way on the plate. Good at first, then as the food on the plate disappears I am left with three things, pasta that the sauce has slid off of, the meat sauce and then this watery stuff. I know it is coming from the sauce and not the well drained pasta.
Maybe I need to strain my sauce?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sauce2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	4030  
Old 05-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
This works for me: If it sits in th epot unstirred, I may have some liquid on top, but after a stir, it is nice and thick. This is my first attempt at documenting some of what I cook. DW has decreed tht I need to do this. If I am vague or silly, I am sorry. I make good food, usually by feel and taste.

Spagetti Sauce

Pot #1 - Frying pan.
Take the casing off 8 nice plump sweet italian sausages. This will be about 1 1/2 tl 1 3/4 #. Put this in the frying pan, start cooking. Chop it up with a spatula or whatever works for you. Once you have tried out a bit of fat add 1/2 to 3/4 # if 90% or better ground beef. What the objective here is to brown the meat and chop it up as amall as posssible. When the meat is browned, dump it in a strainer and let the water and grease drain.

Pot #2 - Sauce pot
Peel and crush 4 to 6 cloves of garlic. More or less to your taste. Chop the garlic and dump it in the pot. Chop an onion finely and pitch ti in as well. Add olive oil to just cover the bottom. Turn on the heat mediumish. Cook the onions and garlic till trabsclucent. Watch the heat, don't brown or burn the mixture.

When you arrive at transclucent, add a can (big) of tomato sauce, a big can of crushed tomatoes and a can of diced tomatoes (mediumish). At this point, I usually take the crushed tomatoe can, fill it with water and add that and 12 oz of tomatoe paste. Look at the concistency. You know how thick or thin you want it. Use tomatoe paste and water to get where you want it.

Now for the fun parts, the spices.

2 Tbsp - Basil
1 1/2 Tbsp - Fennel
1 1/2 Tsp - Marjoram
1 Tbsp - Oregano
1 tsp - Thyme
1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp - Adobo
1 1/2 - Tsp salt
5 to 10 turns of black pepper.
2 to 3 Tbsp of shredded parm.
1 bell pepper finely diced
1 # chopped mushrooms. Not too fine

Dump in the drained meat.

Peal and add a whole potatoe, a nice big one.

Bring up the heat watch closely, Just before it comes to a boil, reduce heat and cover. We are looking for the gentlest of simmers. We want the sauce to simmer, but, not so much heat that the bottom gets burned.

I simmer about 3 hours or so, while simmering, I come by every half hour or so to stir it. I find that after you initially cover it and set the heat that an adjustment or two will be needed.

My wife is the doneness tester, when she tells me that I am no longer allowed near the pot, we are good to go. Remove the potatoe, eat it if you like. I have always put one in and I believe that it takes the sharpness out of the sauce.

A note about spices and other addatives. I remember some sauce with bacon bits in it as well. Other spices cam be used to taste. Rosemary, Thyme and crushed red pepper come to mind. Your spices are your signature, experament. I like a chunkey, meaty sauce, hence the crushed and diced tomatoes. For this reason, as well, I do not chop the pepper and mushrooms too finely. As you taste your way to your favorite sauce, keep notes. My daughter tells me that if you experament with a meal and it is really great, Enjoy it to the fullest, he next one probably will taste different.

I usually serve it over fresh pasta the first night, then I put 3 sauce ladels (for 2 people) in 1 quart ziplocks and freeze it in one meal portions. We find it very convenient for quick tasty meals.

Tags
None