Can you thicken tomato sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for that tip Erik.
That could come in handy in a lot of things.

There I was. Making spaghetti sauce again last night. Had forgotten all about this thread until I started to see the grease/juices from the hamburger, sausage, onions and mushrooms starting to pool. Then I remembered all the advice I had gotten in this thread and started looking through the posts for a fix with what I had in my pantry. I had tomato paste. To complicate matters, I had the brainstorm of adding some beef stock to things as they were cooking. So the juices were flowing :)

I added the tomato paste. First a few chunks I had in the freezer, then half a small can. Then I simmered things about 45 minutes longer than usual. Things were starting to look good, so I added two jars of storebought sauce. At this point, how I wished I had a couple cans of tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes in the pantry, but I didn't :(, so in went the Robusto Ragu. 30 minutes later and I was eating and I have to say, besides the deep taste it had, probably from the beef stock, it actually was sticking to the spaghetti! No more runny juices leaching from the sauce :) I think the tomato paste really helped to thicken the sauce up.

Much thanks!
And next time I'm at the store, several cans of tomato products are going into my cart for next time.

If you leave now Suzi, you might make it in time to load the dishwasher :LOL:

It tasted good Jeeks. I don't think the stock (or did I mean broth?) added anything that jumped out at you, but something was different in a good way. I almost ate it as is, without mixing any sauce with it :) It would have been great on a sub roll.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom