"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-02-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
Cook

Cheese sauce?

Well, I tried to make a cheese sauce the other day, and I definitely messed up. Big time. It was all clumpy and looked like yellow cottage cheese (way too much margarine).

I Googled how to do it, but I'm not sure what to do and what not to.. The page I used last time didn't have measurements, which could be where I messed up, or it could've just been completely wrong. Who knows. lol

Regardless, I could use your all's help. How do I make a cheese sauce (like the cheese part of macaroni and cheese)?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Head Chef

Make the white sauce first, THEN slowly add the cheese while it barely
simmers. Stir constantly till the cheese is assimilated.

Can't add the cheese until it has something to melt into. :)

Old 06-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
Head Chef

here is my 2 cents worth. 1 use good cheddar cheese medium or sharp
2 make sure it is grated (melt's faster) use a good quality butter or oil. 1 tbl of flour+1TBL of oil or butter will make a ruxe that will thicken about one cup of milk.
If you know how to make a cream sauce you are half way there. Season with S&P
and a little dry mustard or a spoonfull of ball park mustard, a few dashes of L&P sauce
then add your cheese and stir till disolved and CHECK your seasonings reseason if needed
Now 2 cup = 1 pint 2pints=1 quart. you can take it from there.
Mac and cheese was the first dish I learned how to make it really is not hard to make
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Make the white sauce first, THEN slowly add the cheese while it barely
simmers. Stir constantly till the cheese is assimilated.

Can't add the cheese until it has something to melt into. :)
I have no clue how to make a white sauce first... I tried to make a roux first with a cup and a half of flower and a cup and a half of "butter" (I was out so I used margarine), then add in some random amounts of milk (it said equal flower and butter, nothing about what amount of milk). It kept thickening and not being "saucey" so I added more margarine and milk, but it never thinned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
here is my 2 cents worth. 1 use good cheddar cheese medium or sharp
2 make sure it is grated (melt's faster) use a good quality butter or oil. 1 tbl of flour+1TBL of oil or butter will make a ruxe that will thicken about one cup of milk.
If you know how to make a cream sauce you are half way there. Season with S&P
and a little dry mustard or a spoonfull of ball park mustard, a few dashes of L&P sauce
then add your cheese and stir till disolved and CHECK your seasonings reseason if needed
Now 2 cup = 1 pint 2pints=1 quart. you can take it from there.
Mac and cheese was the first dish I learned how to make it really is not hard to make
Thanks for the guide... But, I have no clue how to make a cream sauce or anything. lol I don't really need help with the cheese part I guess, just the roux base. Sorry, I should've clarified in the first post.. But 14 hour drive takes it out of ya, you know? lol
Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
Senior Cook

That's a LOT of butter and flour. I think you'll find that that's where your problems lie!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
when I make white sauce, I use 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup flour and 1 quart of milk. That should be enough for a pound of pasta, or adjust quantities, but keep the porportions. Make the roux and cook the flour a little. Then pour warmed milk in, slowly as you wisk. Then stir the grated cheese in, a little at a time and allow to incorporate. The sauce will thicken with the cheese.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Acup and a half of butter and flour will thicken 6-8 cups of milk. Figure two tablespoons each of butter and flour to thicken a cup of milk. After you have this part done and have simmered the combo for a couple of minutes, slowly stir in the shredded or grated cheese.

Your first attempt got clumpy like cottage cheese because you got the sauce too hot when adding the cheese. You can take the sauce off the burner and stir in the cheese. There is enough heat in the white sauce to melt the cheese.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post
when I make white sauce, I use 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup flour and 1 quart of milk. That should be enough for a pound of pasta, or adjust quantities, but keep the porportions. Make the roux and cook the flour a little. Then pour warmed milk in, slowly as you wisk. Then stir the grated cheese in, a little at a time and allow to incorporate. The sauce will thicken with the cheese.
Awesome, thanks. Does the temperature of the milk really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Acup and a half of butter and flour will thicken 6-8 cups of milk. Figure two tablespoons each of butter and flour to thicken a cup of milk. After you have this part done and have simmered the combo for a couple of minutes, slowly stir in the shredded or grated cheese.

Your first attempt got clumpy like cottage cheese because you got the sauce too hot when adding the cheese. You can take the sauce off the burner and stir in the cheese. There is enough heat in the white sauce to melt the cheese.
Yeah, the amount of flour/butter I used definitely was too much. lol I was afraid to eat the stuff because of all the butter. lol

I took it off the heat before I added the cheese.. I guess I just didn't let it cool enough. Thanks for the info guys. =)
Old 06-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Awesome, thanks. Does the temperature of the milk really matter?
I normally have the milk hot enough that you can see steam rising from it, but not boiling or even simmering. Just hot.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
I normally have the milk hot enough that you can see steam rising from it, but not boiling or even simmering. Just hot.
Alright, thanks. The sight I used said to have cold milk if the roux is hot, and hot if the roux is cold, so I used cold milk. lol

Tags
None