Chocolate BBQ sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhlake

Assistant Cook
I found a recipe for this in my Midwest Living magazine and I am very intrigued and would like to try it. I love mole, so I am imagining it is the same type of thing.

I only found one other recipe online and it used Hershey's dark syrup. Anyone here ever try it??

I've used Ghirradelli's (sp?) chunk chocolate in certain recipes for barbeque sauce. I also use a little chocolate in my chili sauce. It gives both an incredible depth of flavor and I love it. The Mexicans are very big on chocolate with their chili recipes and of course mole is made with chocolate. Give it a try , I think you'll like the difference.

What was the name of the recipe - Midwest Living's search engine has a few problems IMHO ... and searching on "chocolate" I would have been there all night!

If the recipe called for unsweetened cocoa powder - depending on the other ingredients it very well could be like a mole.

I made a version of it tonight and it was great. I got lots of praise for it! It really tasted good. That background taste of chocolate but not overly sweet or anything. Very much like mole. I actually had a total disaster making the recipe so I had to adapt it!!

Michael--it may not be on the website yet. I ended up using a recipe from the Hershey's company. Here is my modified version.

Chocolate BBQ Sauce

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups ketchup
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup of melted Hershey’s Special Dark chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tbsp cracked black pepper
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp prepared mustard
  • 1/2 tsp hot sauce
Directions

In a sauce pan saute onions and garlic in olive oil, cooking until tender. Stir in lemon juice, salt, pepper, paprika and hot sauce. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes and reduce heat. Stir in ketchup, mustard, vinegar and Hershey’s. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

*I actually did not do the onions, garlic or olive oil part (that is part of my cooking disaster story that you don't want me to go in to!!). I also added 2 tb of sugar to the end, because I thought it was too vinegary.

After I made it, I couldn't tell if I liked it or not. But once I put it on the grilled chicken, it was great. My husband loved it.

Has anyone tried the bottled sauces with chocolate in them? I would like to buy one now.

Just wondering, exactly what does the word "mole" mean? I know its pronounced "mole-ay" (I think) and I made a chicken mole last night with chocolate powder following a recipe. But what does it really mean?

I don't know either. When I went to a site to get a translation, I got 'lunar'. When I put in mole sauce...it was salsa de lunar.:ermm:

My aunt's Mexican friend made it all the time with tons of crushed nuts, spices and chocolate. We'd eat it with turkey on homemade soft corn tacos. That was the best.

Back
Top Bottom