"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Everymom

Clam Sauce question - need fast answer

Ok, I'm filling in for the cook at work today. I'm going to do a linguine dinner. I have clams and evaporated milk. I've got no heavy cream so thats out. I'm thinking saute some onion and garlic, reduce the evaporated milk, add maybe some parmesan cheese, and the clams, anything I'm missing? Anyone have a better plan for me? I've never winged this without a recipe and I'm a bit edgy about it. Does anyone have a recipe I can scale to 20 people?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Alix. You don't have to reduce the E-Milk much at all. That's already been done. Can you make a roux and use the E-milk and maybe some water (don't know how much you have) to make a bechamel?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I've never used any dairy in any linguine with clam sauce... just white wine, garlic and parsley, along with a generous squirt of lemon.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Everymom

I can do that. I've got scads of both e-milk and clams, thus the idea for linguine. So, I don't need to reduce that much, I'm good with that. I have to admit, never made a bechamel either. Guess I'd better go do a search for that.

Edit: I lied. I just did a search for bechamel and realized I've made it dozens of times. Who knew? How embarrassing.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
I've never used any dairy in any linguine with clam sauce... just white wine, garlic and parsley, along with a generous squirt of lemon.
No white wine here June. and no parsley or garlic if you can believe it. For that matter...no lemons either! I get my order Wednesday AM, until then, I have to scrounge the pantry for whats left.

The suggestion was that I open a big tin of mushroom soup and toss the clams in with that on pasta. I wasn't a big fan of that idea so I'm looking for better ones.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
I was just going to say that but my boss walked in on me! He comes first.

"White" clam sauce is nondairy, like June says.

I would also veto the canned mushroom soup suggestion.

What about any of these

Otherwise, how about chowder?
Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Edit: I lied. I just did a search for bechamel and realized I've made it dozens of times. Who knew? How embarrassing.
O

M

G

Old 07-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Do you have fresh or canned tomatoes?You could make a light tomato sauce with just the tomatoes,a little onion or scallions.Bell pepper,a splash of red wine etc and the clams.Do you at least have powdered garlic and dried parsley,basil?Just make it into another type of pasta with clams.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
No white wine here June. and no parsley or garlic if you can believe it. For that matter...no lemons either! I get my order Wednesday AM, until then, I have to scrounge the pantry for whats left.

The suggestion was that I open a big tin of mushroom soup and toss the clams in with that on pasta. I wasn't a big fan of that idea so I'm looking for better ones.
In your first post you said you were going to use garlic.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Everymom

Thanks Bill, pointing out the inconsistency is much appreciated. Now I'll share that AFTER my first post, I did a run through of the pantry to see what all was in stock and discovered the garlic keeper was empty.

Its freaking hot in the kitchen, the A/C isn't working and I'm not a happy camper. So Bill, I know you were trying to be amusing, but you stepped on my last frayed nerve there.

Tags
None