"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
You can do it if you like, but it's not a completely necessary step. It won't change the flavour or thickness overmuch. I've always been satisfied with the end result as long as the butter was room temperature.

For what it's worth, I loathe making hollandaise sauce. It's hard to hold, which means that you have to get involved in a project just before service/serving. Sure, you can hold it, but it's just one more thing to keep an eye on as you are usually doing everything else. Nothing worse than a broken sauce.

I did make a killer lime/cilantro hollandaise once... Came out lovely.
__________________

__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 AM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Seven S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: N of the Equator, W of the Greenwich Meridian
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellytez
from what I've learned in school, we only clarify butter to get out the fats. It will be the white foam on top.
the fat is the butterfat which happens to be the clarified butter; the white foam on the bottom is the milk solids, the white foam on the top is the whey proteins. the reason to clarify butter is for higher smoke point in order to fry in it and also to last longer in storage.
__________________

__________________
Seven S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:56 AM   #13
Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Belgium
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
You can do it if you like, but it's not a completely necessary step. It won't change the flavour or thickness overmuch. I've always been satisfied with the end result as long as the butter was room temperature.

For what it's worth, I loathe making hollandaise sauce. It's hard to hold, which means that you have to get involved in a project just before service/serving. Sure, you can hold it, but it's just one more thing to keep an eye on as you are usually doing everything else. Nothing worse than a broken sauce.

I did make a killer lime/cilantro hollandaise once... Came out lovely.
I'm all with you on the hollandaise sauce. The problem is it's such a tasty sauce... especially as béarnaise.
As far as your lime-cilantro hollandaise is concerned: did you make it "to taste" or did you keep ratio's or write a recipe? And if so, would you mind sharing it? Pretty please?
__________________
Tonight let us eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:54 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades
I'm all with you on the hollandaise sauce. The problem is it's such a tasty sauce... especially as béarnaise.
As far as your lime-cilantro hollandaise is concerned: did you make it "to taste" or did you keep ratio's or write a recipe? And if so, would you mind sharing it? Pretty please?
Good morning Hades

I had no recipe for that particular sauce, I just made it up to go with poached eggs I served with chorizo and cornbread. I followed my basic recipe and substituted lime juice for the lemon juice. Just before service, I added the zest of the lime and 2 tablespooons chopped cilantro. It was great...and accompanied by bloody marys
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: japan
Posts: 462
[quote=VeraBlue]Good morning Hades

"... I just made it up to go with poached eggs I served with chorizo and cornbread. ......and accompanied by bloody marys"



i'm droolin' here. if i could get my hands on some chorizo, i'd whip some up next weekend, but seeing as i can't, i've got just one question. what's your address vb?
__________________
let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:15 AM   #16
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 294
Clarified butter is not mandatory, but provides the smoothest textured sauce. Clarified butter is required however for a thick sauce such as a sabayon since whole butter is only 75% fat; this means that 25% is water and will not work well in a thick sauce. Clarified butter is best for the best end results
__________________
Chef_Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #17
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 19
I agree with chef Jimmy. You will also find that your sauce will hold better if you use clarified butter.
__________________
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #18
Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Belgium
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Good morning Hades

I had no recipe for that particular sauce, I just made it up to go with poached eggs I served with chorizo and cornbread. I followed my basic recipe and substituted lime juice for the lemon juice. Just before service, I added the zest of the lime and 2 tablespooons chopped cilantro. It was great...and accompanied by bloody marys
mmmmmmm.... cornbread, chorizo, poached eggs and lime-cilantro hollandaise. Sounds great I'm going to give it a try soon. Thanks Vera.
I'll give the Bloody Mary's a go too... never had one in all my life
__________________
Tonight let us eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
[quote=philso]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Good morning Hades

"... I just made it up to go with poached eggs I served with chorizo and cornbread. ......and accompanied by bloody marys"



i'm droolin' here. if i could get my hands on some chorizo, i'd whip some up next weekend, but seeing as i can't, i've got just one question. what's your address vb?
I'm in northern New Jersey....if you start out now, I'll have breakfast waiting for you in 24 hours!
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades
mmmmmmm.... cornbread, chorizo, poached eggs and lime-cilantro hollandaise. Sounds great I'm going to give it a try soon. Thanks Vera.
I'll give the Bloody Mary's a go too... never had one in all my life
I'm not a big fan of tomato juice...I see the bloody mary as a vehicle for vodka.

Use a good quality tomato juice, and an even better vodka. Cheap vodka will just give you a headache. I also like mine spicy...so the lime is a nice cut in the bloody mary, as well.
__________________

__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.