"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 09-21-2005, 08:12 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
Okay guys i am going to make 10 oz.

6oz red wine 2 oz balsamic 2 oz worchester

first im using garlic and butter sauteeing them

Approximately how long will this take to reduce? I want to time this right.

I heard someone say i should cook the reduction first then heat it up to serve later.

will this be ok? Or will it congeal and become ruined?

thank you again.

Try this:

Take the steaks out of the marinate and dry them off about
1/2 hr before you start to cook.

In the meantime take a very wide saute pan and reduce
your marinade by half which will be less than 1/2 hour over
a medium high heat.reserve the reduced marinate.

Clean out the pan and sear the fillets over a low-medium heat,just make sure the pan has come up to temp and add the oil/butter combo just before you start to cook. You'll have a nice caramalization on the steaks without any burning,then remove to another pan and finish in the oven.
Return the pan to the heat and some more butter and gently sweat your garlic,then add your marinate reduction back in and reduce further until your happy with the consistancy.And add a little whole butter off the heat to add to the viscosity and flavour of your sauce.Season to taste......Forget about the time reference,you'll have plenty of time especially when you consider the steaks will take about 10 minutes in the oven and at least another 5 minutes to rest.Once you add the reduced marinate back in the pan it will only take you about 5 minutes to finish the sauce...good luck.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #12
Head Chef

My friend, my reduction has already started. The one i listed, and i sauteed butter and garlic for 2 mins then added the 10oz of liquid. I brought it to a boil then quickly lowered heat to 3 on my stove. like med-lo

It is simmering right now. I'm not marinating the steaks this time, this is just a sauce.

Will the garlic burn in here? I see chunks of garlic in the reduction, even though i cut it very small, and also, when i smell the reduction, it doesnt smell too good.

god i hope i didnt burn it.

I just eyeball it until it looks thicker and is about halfway reduced?

Cheers

edit: I see you say very wide pan to make reduction.

Im using a small sauce pan, the type that is like 4-5 inches high, in a circle, like a pan youd cook Ramen Noodles in

Is this bad? why wide pan? should i move my reduction to a wider pan like a skillet?

Thanks again man.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:51 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

A wider pan makes evaporation easier as a greater surface area is exposed. There should be no problem using your pan. It might take a minute or two longer.

The garlic will be OK as long as it doesn't burn. Watch the color. Light brown is OK, don't let it get darker. It should not be a problem with the garlic in a liquid - the temp won't get high enough to burn the garlic.

Tags
None