"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 05-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
Executive Chef

thanks, cg, and you're right, going the 'menu' route to access your recipe does the trick. now, for my next problem to solve: how can I access a member's profile page without having to hunt through the threads for one of their posts?

see what you and gg have started now? I've got a hundred more of these pc and site questions like the one you just solved....:)

Old 05-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Up top on the right is the site Google search, type in the member's name and hit search.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
When you simmer it is the lid on or off?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Lid off pac....
ACKKKK!!!! Lid ON! I posted the original comment before my nightly glass of wine. I might leave it askew just a bit, but the pot is never without some degree of "hat".
Old 05-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
To avoid long simmering times, and get that same, wonderful flavor, I make the sauce in my pressure cooker. 20 minutes is the same as several hours worth of cooking....
Mentioned this to Himself and he said Mom did try it in the pressure cooker. Once. The flavor was not as good as a long simmer and they all could tell the difference. Great as those cookers are I guess a recipe here or there will end up "just not the same".
Old 05-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
ACKKKK!!!! Lid ON! I posted the original comment before my nightly glass of wine. I might leave it askew just a bit, but the pot is never without some degree of "hat".

My sauce with meats simmers for hours with a wood spoon under the lid.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Whew! A near fiasco!
I probably would have noticed something awry when it was reduced by half in a couple hours

Tags
cooking, recipe, sauce, spaghetti, tomato sauce

Cooking Goddess' Family Spaghetti Sauce Recipe 1 t garlic powder 2 t crushed basil leaves 1 T crushed oregano leaves 1 1/2 t celery salt 1/2 t celery seed 1 t fresh-ground black pepper, or to taste (I use closer to 1 T) 1 onion, chopped 1 lbs ground chuck or ground round steak 12 oz can tomato paste 29 oz can tomato sauce, or pureed tomatoes, or crushed tomatoes, or dices tomatoes, or whole tomatoes broken up (I vary it depending on my mood) Sweat chopped onion in enough water to cook till clear without burning. Add meat and brown (if you want to reduce the fat content of the sauce first cook your beef by your preferred method). Add all seasonings and mix into the meat. Add the tomato paste and sauce. (I rinse each can out with a little bit of water to get all the juices out and add that to the pot.) Simmer for at least 4-5 hours; longer is better. I've simmered mine for as long as eight hours. If you want to remove even more fat refrigerate overnight, then skim hardened fat off the top of the sauce. This sauce can also be used in lasagna. It freezes well. * Feel free to make adjustments to your own preference, using this as a starting point. The original recipe called for sauteing the onions in butter, adding sugar to shorten the cooking time, using a 15 oz. can of sauce and a full can of water, and using double meat. The adjustments I've made over the years make it a leaner version with more depth of flavor. If you don't have the time to simmer for hours you can add up to a T of sugar at the start. ** If you want to make this a two-step process, you can precook the meat the day before and pre-measure all the spices. That way you're simmering the sauce in no time flat the next morning. 3 stars 1 reviews