"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 02-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
Master Chef

Well, non-dairy creamer definitely puts a totally different spin on things - especially taste & regardless of temp. Non-dairy creamer is nothing but chemicals with dairy flavoring - lol!!!

And again Alix, the cream mixed into the pesto in the food processor & then added to the pasta is absolutely no different from uncreamed pesto added to pasta. Pesto is NOT cooked; is always added cold (or room temp) to hot pasta. I don't see the difference.

Every time I've made this recipe the pasta AND sauce have been hot. I drain my pasta & put a thin film of extra-virgin olive oil in the bottom of the pasta-cooking pot & put it back on the hot, but turned off burner. I then add the drained pasta back in & stir it about in the now hot oil. I then add the cream pesto sauce & toss everything around. The whole pot is steaming.

I'm still confused as to how you think this sauce is "cold"?

Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #12
Head Chef

Hi Breezy, I normally add cream later and not while blending everything together is not because of the taste but because I like to have control.

It works better for me to add the cream later because I can control whether it has more of a creamy flavor (more cream) or more of a pesto flavor ( less cream). I guess you can do that in the blender too but it works better when it's all heated up in a pan because all of this releases some liquids and losens up the sauce which gives you a better visual perception than something that's a blended cold.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #13
Master Chef

That sounds like a good idea too Yakuta - especially if dinner has to wait for a little bit. I'll definitely try it. Thanks!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
I'm still confused as to how you think this sauce is "cold"?
Charlie, Breezy, not me. I'm just agreeing with him that cold would taste icky. I don't make my pesto with this recipe (or any recipe really)
Old 02-27-2007, 08:17 AM   #15
Sous Chef

I'm with you breezy - it's like adding a raw egg to hot pasta...it gets 'cooked' beautifully.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Charlie, while I have never made pesto with cream, the first thing that jumped out at me was, 1 cup of oil (to one cup of basil), i.e. sounds like a lot of oil (i.e. the ratio of basil to oil). Usually, I see about 1/4 cup oil & about 1-2 cups basil (herbs), but that is not to say the recipe will not be good or turn out well. Seems like a lot of oil to be added to the cream as well (i.e. 1 cup cream & 1 cup oil). These recipes do not include cream, but maybe there's one here you might like to try, as well.

Pesto-bilities

Edited to add: I found a recipe using heavy cream, that looks good:

Alfredo Pesto Pasta

Tags
None