"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces
Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by QUEEN-GUINEVERE View Post
Not a bad price, Jeekinz....I paid $34, not much more than what you paid.

I've never heard of a "chicken" based demi glace, and from all the recipes I've seen for making it have beef, pork, and veal bones.

As far as other ways to use it, aside from doing an internet search, most jars have those little recipe books attached to them with those elastic ties. Make sure the jar you pick up has one of those as there are a multitude of ideas in those little books as well.
Yeah, mine came with the booklet, and being from Williams Sonoma it has to be somewhat tasty.

I'm not sure about the chicken demi either. Usually I'm looking for light and brighter flavors with chicken. Doesn't mean I wouldn't try it, but I need a spare $30 though. LOL Most recipes I've seen use chicken bones along with beef, pork and veal.

Oh yeah, I've used the beef demi with chicken stock for pork. HTH

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
Senior Cook
I've never used it on chicken, thinking it would be too heavy (taste) and usually, we like to have the chicken on the lighter and brighter side, too. For that, I usually stick to the citrus glazes, sauces, etc. as well as the white wines and roses. I find doing the meals this way allows me to have the "heavy" with the beef or beef based dishes and the "light" with the chicken and fishes.

QUEEN-GUINEVERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
Master Chef
I really & truly do not believe that no one here has heard of or made Chicken Demi Glace. It really is not some unheard of potion.

Do an internet search on it. You'll find both commericial preparations, as well as recipes for making it. Frankly, I try not to be without it for the depth it adds to poultry pan sauces.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Chicken demi-glace is pretty common, it`s the same as any other demi glace but made with brown chicken stock. Just brown the chicken bones and use tomato paste and all that just like you would with a normal veal or beef stock. Then the process if making a demi glace is making an Espagnole sauce (one of the 5 mother sauces), then use equal parts espagnole and brown stock and reduce down to a quarter of what it was, or just the consistency you`re looking for. The basic demi glace is made the same way just different stocks used, but always a brown stock. Raspberry chicken demi is great, just add shallots, garlic, and raspberry coulis to the demi glace, season with salt, pepper, worcestershire, sugar and you`re set.

Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote