Easy-Peezy Cheesy Sauce for Hot Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ok, once in a while, a guy just gets hungry for a cheap, carnival style hot dog. This fills the bill, except better.

Ingredients:
2 of your favorite, high quality hot dogs per person
1/2 inch slice from Velveeta Cheese loaf
2 tsp. Koops brown mustard
3 tbs, finely grated Asiago Cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt

Pour the cream into a heavy pan over low heat. Cut the Velveeta into small cubes and add to the pan. Add the salt and brown mustard. Stir until creamy smooth.Turn off the heat and add the Asiago cheese. Stir again until smooth.

Cook your dogs. Plate or place in buns. Spoon sauce over the dogs.

DW's and my dinner consisted of steamed chayote squash, the Chief's doctored VanCamp beans, deep fried dogs covered with cheese sauce. If I'd have had some canned chili to put over top, that would have really turned this into a kid's favorite (And this 59 year old kid would have loved it!).

I also put cheese sauce over my squash and it was pretty tasty as well. The flavor would have made an outstanding sauce for cheese macaroni.

You don't have to try this easy sauce, but you should.;)

Oh, had to come back and add this. It sounds so good, I can taste it in my mind. Put the sauce over a good Kielbasa, fresh from the grill, on a whole wheat hot dog bun, and a bit of sweet pickle relish.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
:yum: Love the Velveeta. Purists be danged.

I think the recipe was changed since I was in my twenties. The flavor isn't as sharp. The cheese product is more bland. My addtions bring it back to a full flavored, cheese-like product, but as a sauce. And yes, I'll not turn my nose up at any
ingredient that serves my purpose. If I want a snacking cheese, or a cheese for lasagna, or pasta, I will use real cheese (many real cheeses have suffered in quality as much as have Velveeta). If I want snacking cheese, to find something worth eating, I have to go to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, or order it online from artisan cheese sellers.

Velveeta serves its purpose. If I can't find it, it's fairly easy to make a home made substitute.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

:yum: Love the Velveeta. Purists be danged.
Hah! You started it. ;)

I don't know what Velveeta tastes like. The appearance puts me off. I have read that it tastes like Cheese Whiz. I have a, probably biased, dislike of Cheese Whiz. I was offered "fromage en crême" for my toast at breakfast. I thought they meant cream cheese, so I said "Oui, merci" (yes, please). I politely put some of the offered Cheese Whiz on my toast and choked it down without comment. Stirling says Velveeta and Cheese Whiz only taste similar, not the same. He has no interest either.

Velveeta is unique and sometimes it's the taste that's needed or desired.

To me it's made to be melted. :yum:

Nice looking sauce recipe Chief. I like the additional cheese.

What's Koops Brown mustard like? We don't have it here. Is it similar to Guldens?

I'm going to have to give it a try. I love a good hot dog but as always I can never decide how to dress them. :(

Looks like this would go with many things. Broccoli or Brussels sprouts are the first to come to mind. :chef:

Ohhhh with chips sounds good too. :bounce:

How long do you think this would keep in the fridge in case I want to make a big batch?

Velveeta is unique and sometimes it's the taste that's needed or desired.

To me it's made to be melted. :yum:

Nice looking sauce recipe Chief. I like the additional cheese.

What's Koops Brown mustard like? We don't have it here. Is it similar to Guldens?

I'm going to have to give it a try. I love a good hot dog but as always I can never decide how to dress them. :(

Looks like this would go with many things. Broccoli or Brussels sprouts are the first to come to mind. :chef:

Ohhhh with chips sounds good too. :bounce:

How long do you think this would keep in the fridge in case I want to make a big batch?

Yes, Koops is very similar to Guildens mustard. If you put this in a clean jar, while hot and runny, it would last a long time, probably more than a month. Thinned a little by adding more cream or milk, it would make a good cheese spread too.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hah! You started it. ;)

I don't know what Velveeta tastes like. The appearance puts me off. I have read that it tastes like Cheese Whiz. I have a, probably biased, dislike of Cheese Whiz. I was offered "fromage en crême" for my toast at breakfast. I thought they meant cream cheese, so I said "Oui, merci" (yes, please). I politely put some of the offered Cheese Whiz on my toast and choked it down without comment. Stirling says Velveeta and Cheese Whiz only taste similar, not the same. He has no interest either.

Heh. My mom always used Cheez Whiz for certain things as she felt the flavor was way more intense than Velveeta. I find Velveeta makes a great cauliflower cheese soup, melts great. Then I just throw in whatever leftover "real" cheese scraps we have.

Last edited:
Cheeze Whiz is a similar product to Velveeta, but much more salty. It is soft enough to spread, like peanut butter. A lot of people like it. I never did due to the saltiness of the product. As a child, what my Dad considered proper seasoning was badly over-salted for me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If it involves cheese, we're on it. Thank you for the recipe, Chief. Would either spicy brown mustard work with it and/or Grey Poupon?

Back
Top Bottom