"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
i don't use it but i do know the idiot has frank's hot sauce. before that he had some that was homemade with habaneros from one of his friends.
Sounds like your mad at your boyfriend, or maybe there is a hot sauce called "the idiot"

Old 06-03-2005, 10:36 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
oh no amber that's what i call the bf on a day to day basis when i'm being nice. you should see the things i call him when i am mad lol.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:32 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
oh no amber that's what i call the bf on a day to day basis when i'm being nice. you should see the things i call him when i am mad lol.
a woman after my own heart!
hey, middie, wanna go for a ride in the golf cart and run our idiots over again?
Old 06-04-2005, 12:08 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Oh the things we could say about our men Maybe pm me lol
Old 06-04-2005, 09:48 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
My wife calls me sweety. At least to my face!
Old 06-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I really like any and all hot sauces except the ones that are SO hot that they have no flavor.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:50 PM   #17
Master Chef

Smile

I use several different brands depending on how hot I want my food and what I am putting the sauce on.

Valentina Salsa Picante
Tapatio Salsa Picante
Crystal Habanero Sauce
Tabasco Pepper Sauce
Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
Crystal Extra Hot Hot Sauce

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:03 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
I use several different brands depending on how hot I want my food and what I am putting the sauce on.

Valentina Salsa Picante
Tapatio Salsa Picante
Crystal Habanero Sauce
Tabasco Pepper Sauce
Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
Crystal Extra Hot Hot Sauce
i love the valentina on Mexican food. too bad it's so weak, though. it's cheap as dirt, though.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:44 AM   #19
Head Chef

I'm with Sierra and Sushi on this one.

The hot sauce you choose depends upon what you are using it for.

If I want to zip us a dish such as a soup or stew, spaghetti sauce, chicken salad, turkey stuffing, any recipe in which one might want a bid of heat, will choose carefully.

Many brands of hot sauce have a high salt to capsaicin ratio, and the amount needed to add the appropriate tang may make the dish too salty (I include Frank's in this category, although always make wings with it).

When zipping up a dish like that, will usually reach for a sauce with concentrated hot, such as regular Tabasco or a hotter one (usually go with the cheaper hotter sauces here, when it is going into a spaghetti sauce for example, am looking for the zip and any other flavors an expensive sauce may have are just too dilute to make a difference).

But when adding a splash to an already made dish, or putting it on a cracker, a piece of cheese, refried beans, when I want the flavor of the pepper to come through and not just the heat, will often use Tapatio or Cholula, because we like the taste.

Also use a lot of Crystal and Texas Pete, and like Original Louisiana hot sauce.

And then there are all the others that clutter our cupboard.

The problem with hot sauces is that there are just too many very good ones out there, and so few meals and snacks, particularly when there are only the two of us.

Just found that Bruce foods has put out what they call a mild green chile sauce and think I will order a few bottles.

They had a dynamite product some twenty years ago, it went away, and I hope this is like it.

We are not chile heads. On a hot scale from one to ten, we are probably a five and six. We like a bit of hot, but enjoy using those products that have a have a pleasant taste also.

And so we enjoy adding a bit of hot stuff to many dishes. Find that a bit of hot sauce often adds a tanginess that many people who don't like peppery foods find enjoyable and do not even pick up on.

We have never served a turkey stuffing without a adding a bit.

OK, maybe we are chile heads. But a bottle costs less than a fine bottle of wine and lasts a whole lot longer. LOL.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:44 AM   #20
Head Chef

I'm the biggest hot sauce freak ive ever met, and The best hot sauce i've ever had hands down is Sontava! XXX Habanero hot sauce. It is from Belize central america and has habaneros, carrots, lime juice, salt, vinegar, and nothing else i believe. Its like 5 ingredients only. Best stuff i've ever tasted in my life. They also have X and XX versions for the faint of heart.

Tags
None