"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I like Crystal's as a condiment, but I like to use Frank's if I'm making a sauce that's going to be cooked down or simmered.

You can't beat Sriracha for Asian foods though.

The hottest sauce I ever had was I think called "Liquid Stupid". It was pure Habanero with vinegar and some other spices.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm waiting for one called Lips of Steel

Old 06-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #13
Master Chef

I have to agree that good old "Tabasco" is definitely NOT my hot sauce of choice. (Even tho I grew up next door to one of the McIlhenny/Tabasco heirs). I find "Tabasco" a definite one-dimentional sauce. Heat & heat only.

My all-round favorite for adding to all my recipes is solidly Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce. Has just the right amount of heat, flavor, & acidity. I've tried "Crystal", but have found it to have a touch of sweetness that I don't like.

I do receive a lot of different artisinal hot sauces as gifts, & these I use to season breakfast eggs, etc., etc., & enjoy them very much as well. In addition, I do use & enjoy "Pickapepper" in my Caribbean cooking.

But for day-to-day cooking - "Frank's is IT.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I am in the minority as I do not like Franks or Sriracha.

I do not have a favorite as the ones I get usually are things I can only get once. My favorite of the moment is one that my mom brought back from Mexico. It is a chipotle sauce. Not a lot of heat, but the flavor is great. I do wish it were a little hotter, but I can always doctor it up a bit if I need.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:48 AM   #15
Sous Chef

We have a collection of hot sauces-more than I care to count- My son Jymm was a coleector including one that is in a med bottle with an eye dropper that he had to sign a waiver for.My son Dennis fav is Nucking Futs and my husband's fav is Wet Fart-we get most of our hot sauces from Peppers when we are in the Delaware/Maryland area.They have 1000s!!As for me I prefer the slight heat of things like wasabi.
http://peppers.com/
Old 06-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #16
Master Chef

I don't care much for Sriracha either. Again, I find it has a touch of sweetness that doesn't appeal to me.

One of my favorite artisinal ones was given to me by my husband for Halloween. It was a murky green, very hot & flavorful, & was called "Bats Blood". Had a great label!!
Old 06-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Marie Sharps Habanero Sauce from Belize ... really fine, sweetened with carrots, very hot but not at all idiotic.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I was eating at Picadilly the other day and for those of you that don't know what Picadilly is, its a restaurant chain we have here in the States. Anyways, I was eating some fried chicken the other day and got up to get some hot sauce. The brand they had was Cajun Chef Louisanna Hot Sauce. Man, this stuff was great. I would say it is similiar to Crystal and Frank's. That would have to be their competitors anyway. This stuff had a mild flavor, like Frank's, but the taste was awesome. I know that Tabassco and Crystal can be hot for some people making it to where they can't enjoy the taste. This stuff had maxium flavor with a very low intense heat. Is was great.

My wife feel in love with it as well. We tried to find some in the Grocery store but couldn't. I am going to search some other stores but if I can't find it there I will be forced to search the net. But if any of you guys ever see this definetely try it. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Here ya go Jason.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Here ya go Jason.
Thanks a bunch. My wife is going to be happy now.

Tags
None