"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Master Chef

Ginger-Orange Cranberry Sauce Recipe-TNT

Per Kads' request!

2 c white sugar
4 c cranberries
2 c water
Grated fresh ginger and orange zest (grated with a microplane, if you have one), to taste. (I'm a bigger fan of ginger than I am of citrus so I use more ginger and just enough citrus to cut through)

In a deep pan, combine sugar and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar, and boil for 5 minutes. Add cranberries, ginger and orange zest. Return to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally until mixture begins to thicken. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate, covered, overnight.

I always let the mixture cook over the heat longer than I think I should. It seems to take awhile to thicken. No two batches are ever the same, but if I had to guess I'd say it's a good 20 minutes. Just stir often.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Per Kads' request!

2 c white sugar
4 c cranberries
2 c water
Grated fresh ginger and orange zest (grated with a microplane, if you have one), to taste. (I'm a bigger fan of ginger than I am of citrus so I use more ginger and just enough citrus to cut through)

In a deep pan, combine sugar and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar, and boil for 5 minutes. Add cranberries, ginger and orange zest. Return to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally until mixture begins to thicken. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate, covered, overnight.

I always let the mixture cook over the heat longer than I think I should. It seems to take awhile to thicken. No two batches are ever the same, but if I had to guess I'd say it's a good 20 minutes. Just stir often.
Thank you Pa,
I'll be shopping for the ginger thursday and will put this together that evening. I know my family are going to enjoy this with the ham..That is if I don't decide to have some first Again, thank you for taking the time to post this for me.

kadesma

Old 04-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Master Chef

Kads, did you make the sauce? I hope it was a success. I have to say mine set up better than ever this time--all I can think is that it must have been the berries because I didn't do anything differently than usual!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Pa,
Happy Easter Yes I made the sauce and there is only about a 1/2 cup left! Everyone loved it including Olivia and Ethan.. Thank you, I plan to use it again come Thanksgiving...

kadesma
Old 04-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Sounds delicious PA, thanks for sharing!! BTW what did you use this sauce for? I imagine it will be good with turkey or pork roast...
Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'm glad everyone enjoyed it, kads! Licia, this time I made it to serve with our ham, but it's wonderful with turkey, too. I also like it on sandwiches (enjoyed it with some leftover ham last night) or spread over butter or cream cheese on toast or a bagle.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
That sounds so good! I want to go back home now so I can try it. Not having a kitchen in my dorm is the worst part of college life. . . lol. Thanks for posting that!

Tags
None