Gravy problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GQ, I think it's usually gravy when it's thickened (or usually would be) with roux. That gravy in the picture is made with milk and roux. It's sometimes called sawmill gravy.

Yeah, but I have never made poutine. I don't really make French fries. I suppose I could always oven fry some 'taters. Yeah, I should pick up some cheese curds at Costco. I'm making "bankekød" for supper and there will be loads of gravy left.
LCBO Food and Drink magazine has a recipe for oven-fried poutine in it's winter issue. Next time I make poutine, going with oven-fried taters. And, you don't have to limit yourself to curds, can use gjetost, blue cheese (crumbled), mozz., ...

Well, this is some distance from Charlie's original dilemma. And with the talk of sausage gravy, it is a direction he may not wish to participate. The conversation does show we all like a good gravy and for it to come out the way we like it.

Wow, from little oil to this. :ohmy: I too like to cook my flour, so to speak, to get to that nice tan color. I do not always do that, as I don't always have time.
As far as sausage goes, I do not mind talking about it at all as long as I am not eating it ;), though I may not use it because of kosher issue I think it is a nice addition. I think good gravy doesn’t need anything extra. Having said that I like to add something special, particularly if gravy is not made from meat/fowl drippings and it doesn’t have that nice meaty flavor. I for one like to make onion and mushroom gravy. Chopped really finely, cooked in some sweet wine, sorry I like sweet wine and cayenne pepper and the roux made with good soup, either beef or chicken/turkey soup, it adds another dimension to gravy, makes it richer, hint of sweetness and spiciness really makes it very special.
Gravy is good with pretty much anything and I do like it.:yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom