Gravy without pan drippings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
This year I think I am just going to be making a turkey breast rather than a whole bird. So, I am not going to be able to make gravy from the turkey drippings... how can I still make a delicious gravy? I saw an "All-Purpose" gravy from Cook's Illustrated - does anyone have experience with a gravy like that? Thanks.

I saw Tyler Florence last year roast some turkey wings, then make broth with them, a few days ahead for the sole purpose of having the gravy done ahead of time....
I'll see if I can find it but maybe that's an option for you?

Ok I found it but I lied.... he didn't make broth, but that just makes it all the easier! :LOL:

Roasted Turkey Gravy Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network

Last edited:
:) Knorr makes an awsome roasted turkey gravy mix and if you can deglace what ever is in pan you cook breast in and add it also a small splash of dry sherry wine and a tad of cream will make it fantastic.

This year I think I am just going to be making a turkey breast rather than a whole bird. So, I am not going to be able to make gravy from the turkey drippings... how can I still make a delicious gravy? I saw an "All-Purpose" gravy from Cook's Illustrated - does anyone have experience with a gravy like that? Thanks.
make a broth gravy from chicken stock..packaged works fine.
Just heat it up, add milk then milk with corn starch in it to thicken.

Well, I can't see the CI article or the video, since I'm not a subscriber, but if it involves making a roux of butter and flour, and whisking in chicken (or beef) broth, then yes, I've made excellent gravies that way. If you have a base, such as "Better than Bouillion", a spoonful of that is good in there, too.

For the chicken or turkey gravy, I add poultry seasoning (I use Bell's) and season with black pepper.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom