Has anyone ever put sage in their tomato sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife and I stayed in an agritourismo in Tuscany, 4 miles outside of Sienna. the walkway to our room was fenced with a rosemary hedge. That was amazing to see for a guy who has always lived in a more northern climate.
Mmm, lovely aroma when you brush against a rosemary hedge. I rather fancy a low rosemary hedge along where the drive meets the rockery down to the lawn.

This topic sure does meander around a lot, which is kind of fun.

"Sage and onion stuffing"... is good baked in the cavity of acorn squash too. Add a little chopped apple. Bake stuffed squash and cover with foil until almost done. I should start a list of veggie dishes I know, since I tend to draw a blank when it comes time to put together a dish to serve.

"Sage and onion stuffing"... is good baked in the cavity of acorn squash too. Add a little chopped apple. Bake stuffed squash and cover with foil until almost done. I should start a list of veggie dishes I know, since I tend to draw a blank when it comes time to put together a dish to serve.

That does sound good. :yum:

You've just reminded me that my mother used to use sage & onion stuffing in vegetable marrow. Do you have marrows? They are basically courgettes on anabolic steroids.

You've just reminded me that my mother used to use sage & onion stuffing in vegetable marrow. Do you have marrows? They are basically courgettes on anabolic steroids.

Everything you said just went right over my head. The only marrow I know is inside of a bone. And courgettes? No clue - they probably don't carry them in Walmart. :(

Anabolic steroids I've heard of. ;)

Everything you said just went right over my head. The only marrow I know is inside of a bone. And courgettes? No clue - they probably don't carry them in Walmart. :(

Anabolic steroids I've heard of. ;)

You have to excuse the British, they speak a different language!

courgettes=zucchini; marrow is pumpkin and winter squash

I was going to say that I haven't seen them here. But, I betcha those very pale green zucchini are actually very small vegetable marrows.

Plant your rosemary in a pot and then bring the pot into the house in fall. This rosemary pot has two plants. One is three years old and the other one is four.

I just bought a nice looking rosemary plant from the local Ace hardware garden center. I am putting it in a clay pot so it too can be moved in or out as needed, both for protection from winter and from hail (we've already had a couple of nice hailstorms this spring). I'm looking forward to having fresh rosemary always available again.

I just bought a nice looking rosemary plant from the local Ace hardware garden center. I am putting it in a clay pot so it too can be moved in or out as needed, both for protection from winter and from hail (we've already had a couple of nice hailstorms this spring). I'm looking forward to having fresh rosemary always available again.
Good point about the hail.

Rosemary is indeed a heartbreaker. It's not hardy to my area. I dig mine up, repot it, take it inside and give it bunches of TLC, and it rewards me by shedding its needles all over the floor. So, like thyme, I get a new rosemary every year. Haven't tried growing bay yet, but if it acts like that, I probably won't.

I had a rosemary plant that I really just ignored. It was in a pot on my back deck and it survived over 2 years with just the water from rain. Yeah, our winters aren't brutal, but that thing just kept going. I ended up giving it away, I figured if it was that determined to survive, that it should at least be taken care of!

I had a rosemary plant that I really just ignored. It was in a pot on my back deck and it survived over 2 years with just the water from rain. Yeah, our winters aren't brutal, but that thing just kept going. I ended up giving it away, I figured if it was that determined to survive, that it should at least be taken care of!

It doesn't really need to be taken care of, in the right climate. It grows naturally on sunny hillsides along the Mediterranean. I had my rosemary shrub for over 20 years in my herb garden, which we rarely watered because most herbs thrive with neglect. A major exception is basil, which we plant with our tomatoes. I thought my rosemary died in our (relatively speaking, New Englanders ;)) brutal winter of 2013-2014 and bought a new one, but it came back from the roots.

Yup--got a recipe s/where that I have made many times where you make a tomato sauce and then cover pork chops with that. I have been so busy, I haven't had time to pull it out, but is really tasty.

Back
Top Bottom