Help I Put too much garlic in my sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ebnybbwprincess said:
Does Garlic cook down??

If you mean will the garlic flavor tame down or go away with longer cooking ... no. The garlic flavor is from the oil in the garlic - and it doesn't evaporate - it just get's stronger as the water in the sauce evaporates and it concentrates.

ebnybbwprincess said:
Is there a way to correct it or do I have to start from scratch?

Make more "sauce" without garlic and combine the two. What you need to do is "dilute" the garlic ... since you can't remove the garlic all you can do to dilute it is to add more sauce.

The intensity of garlic's flavour does diminish in the cooking process (think of the power of raw garlic compared to the sweetness of roasted garlic). However, if you have already cooked the sauce then, as Michael said, it will not diminish any further.

There is such a thing as too much garlic? Think of those little molecules in your veins, scrubbing away! Seriously, without doubling the recipe, it is just going to be garlicky. If you made it for company, just put the word "garlic" in front of it, and remember to add it little at a time, the next time.

I agree with Claire ~ you can never have too much garlic!!!!! Give your sauce a try as is and when you serve it over pasta, rice, etc., most likely, the garlic flavor will be a bit less!! Without garlic, life would be just plain blah!!!!!!!

The flavor of garlic definitely diminishes & tones down the longer you cook it. You don't need to add more sauce - just simmer it a bit longer.

too much garlic????????? is there such a thing???????

Just kidding---for me---no problem, but I do feel your frustrations---it's as bad as too much lemon in a recipe----no good way to fix it if you don't like the overwhelming flavor but if the recipe allows it continual cooking as has been suggested will help---however, if you're making a delicate sauce especially with seafood you're in trouble---good luck

You have to make spaghetti with garlic and olive oil - aglio e olio (sic?) I think. THE most perfect combination of simple food in the world!!

I agree with Michael in Ft. Worth. Dilute the sauce with more of the non-garlic ingredients. Perhaps make another half batch.

If you've already cooked the sauce for an hour or two, cooking it longer will have little added impact on the strength of the garlic.

Back
Top Bottom